Pigot and Co.'s Royal National and Commercial Directory of August 1841:
Nether and Upper Thong (or Thongue) are townships and villages in the parish of Aldmonbury, from one to two miles from Holmefirth. The manufactures are of the same description as those which prevail in the places before mentioned. At Nether Thong a parliamentary church was erected in 1830 ; it is of stone, and rather a handsome edifice, dedicated to All Saints ; the living is a curacy, in the patronage of the vicar of Aldmonbury ; the Rev. David Hughes is the present curate. A chapel for Wesleyan methodists is at Dean-house, a hamlet a little to the north; and there is one also at Upper Thong. The population of both these townships is about 3,500.
A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) edited by Samuel Lewis:
THONG, UPPER, an ecclesiastical parish, and a township, in the parish of Almondbury, union of Huddersfield, Upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 6¼ miles (S.) from Huddersfield; containing 2352 inhabitants. The township is 3½ miles in length and one mile in breadth, and comprises 3045a. 1r. 10p., the surface rising into bold hills, with some moorland on the heights. It includes part of the village of Holmfirth, which is chiefly in the parish of Kirk-Burton. The river Holm, and the Manchester and Huddersfield road, pass through; and here is a branch railway in connexion with the Huddersfield and Sheffield line. The village of Upper Thong is seated on an eminence, is well built, and contains many modern houses; the inhabitants are chiefly employed in the manufacture of woollen goods. The township was constituted an ecclesiastical district in January 1846, under the act 6th and 7th Victoria, cap. 37, and was formed into a parish on the consecration of its church, of which the first stone was laid in September 1846. The edifice is in the pointed style, consisting of a nave, chancel, transepts, and a tower on the south side; it contains about 700 sittings, and the cost, including the site, was about £4000. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Crown and the Bishop of Ripon, alternately; net income, £150. There are places of worship for Independents and Methodists. The water of a mineral spring here, recently opened, is somewhat similar in odour to the celebrated Harrogate sulphur water: the township also contains a chalybeate spring.
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1872) edited by John Marius Wilson:
THONG (Upper), a township-chapelry in Almondbury parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 6 miles S by W of Huddersfield. It contains part of Holmfirth, which has a post-office under Huddersfield, and a r. station. Acres, 710. Real property, £7,977; of which £414 are in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 2,463; in 1861, 2,690. Houses, 543. There are many genteel residences. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £162. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1847. There are three dissenting chapels.
The extent of the Civil Parish of Upperthong (compiled from O.S. maps of the early 1890s) is shown below.