Turn Bridge, Quay Street, Huddersfield
- also known as: Turnbridge, Locomotive Bridge
- location: Quay Street, Huddersfield
- status: still exists
- category: misc feature
Originally built as a swing bridge over the Sir John Ramsden Canal, the Turn Bridge gave its name to the area.
The current lift bridge — sometimes referred to as the Locomotive Bridge — reportedly dates from 1865.
Discovering Old Huddersfield
Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
The locomotive bridge which carries Quay Street across the canal at Turnbridge is a wonderful device of wheels, chains and counter-weights and is surprisingly easy to operate by hand and windlass. It is not, however, this bridge that gave its name to the area. The first bridge was actually a turning or swivel bridge and is so marked on some early maps. It was replaced by the lifting bridge as long ago as 1865, yet the old name has persisted to the present day.
Historic England Listing
- Scheduled Monument
- listing entry number 1005793
- English Heritage Legacy ID: WY 1185
Notes and References
- ↑ No newspaper reports from 1865 were located during research, so it may be that just the date-stamped counterweights are from that year.