Travellers Rest, Chain, Marsden
- also known as: Shoulder of Mutton
- location: Chain (formerly Wakefield and Austerlands Turnpike), Marsden
- status: still exists but now in different use
- category: public house, beerhouse, inn, etc.
At the Brewster Sessions of 1914 it was stated that the Travellers Rest had to be "re-constructed or re-modelled" before the next Brewster Sessions or else "the licence would be in jeopardy". At the next Brewster Session, a report was given that the premises was "one of the oldest in the neighbourhood" and "ill adapted for the trade" — the licence was then referred to the West Riding Compensation Authority.
According to the Marsden History Group:
The Travellers Rest. Chain Road. Datestone 1770 originally called The Shoulder of Mutton - closed 11/12/1915 - a beer house. Landlord at that time was Ernest Lockwood. It had formerly been kept by John Firth, born in 1862 who was also a farmer and was a prominent member of the Old Holme Mills.
Notes and References
- Huddersfield Daily Examiner (09/Mar/1915).
- Marsden History Group: Public Houses.