Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter
Once across the bridge and through the traffic lights notice, over on the left, a large building presently occupied by a window manufacturer. This was originally a tramway shed built at a cost of £51,000 to provide storage space for up to a hundred tramcars. On 15th July 1921, Alderman E.H. Sellers J.P. ceremonially drove a tram into the new premises and declared them open. Soon afterwards, the shed became the town's main tramway depot, succeeding the older depot in Great Northern Street which was then used for maintaining and repairing rolling stock. Prior to the prestigious new building the site had been occupied by the tramway power station and a small shed for twenty-five tramcars.
Lost somewhere beneath the tram depot is the site of a small workshop which, because of its Luddite connections, has entered into local legend. John Wood's cropping shop stood on the river bank a little way down stream from Longroyd Bridge. Here, in the early years of the nineteenth century, croppers worked in the old way, raising the cloth nap with teasels or wire cards before cropping the nap with heavy shears. Because the work was so skilled croppers earned high wages and when, from about 1803, the use of shearing frames began to spread, their resentment was great. Soon the new machines, one of which could do the work of ten men, came to be regarded as the symbol of oppression. Resentment was channelled into violent action when the Luddite Movement reached the town in 1812. The leader of the Movement locally was George Mellor, John Wood's stepson, and it is believed that several machine breaking attacks were planned at the cropping shop as well as the assassination of William Horsfall on 28th April 1812.