Whitley Upper was a township and urban district within the Parish of Kirkheaton. Historically it contained the hamlets of Whitley Upper and Denby Grange.
It was notable for being the seat of Beaumont Family (Lords of the Manor of Kirkheaton) and of the Lister Kaye family at Denby Grange Hall who were the Baronets of Grange.
The district was abolished on 1 April 1938 to become part of the Parish of Kirkburton.
Baines' Directory: History, Directory and Gazetteer of the County of York, Volume 1 (1822) compiled by Edward Baines:
Whitley (Upper) in the parish of Kirk Heaton, wap. of Agbrigg, and honour of Pontefract ; 5½ miles ENE of Huddersfield. Population 764.
A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) edited by Samuel Lewis:
WHITLEY, UPPER, a township, in the parish of Kirk-Heaton, union of Huddersfield, Upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 4½ miles (E. by N.) from Huddersfield; containing 984 inhabitants. The founder of the ancient family of Beaumont here, was a Knight Hospitaller of St. John of Jerusalem, who received the manor on condition of performing certain military services in the time of Henry III. Whitley Hall has ever since been the principal residence of the family, and is now in the possession of R. H. Beaumont, Esq. Grange Hall is the seat of Sir J. L. Kaye, Bart., and both mansions are remarkable for their elegance, and the fine and extensive prospects obtained from them. The township is situated on the road from Huddersfield to Wakefield, and comprises 1955a. 2r. 11p. of fertile land; the surface is varied. Coal and building-stone of good quality are abundant, and extensively wrought.
Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-2):
WHITLEY (Upper), a township in Kirkheaton parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 6 miles E by N of Huddersfield. Acres, 1,953. Pop., 947. Houses, 186. Whitley-Beaumont is the seat of H. F. Beaumout, Esq.; and Grange Hall, of Sir J. L. Kaye, Bart. Coal is Largely worked.
The boundary of the Urban District (compiled from the 1892 Ordnance Survey map) is shown below.