Together with six other townships, it formed the Graveship of Holme.
From 1861 to 1884, it was governed by Cartworth Local Board.
A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) edited by Samuel Lewis:
CARTWORTH, a township, in the parish of Kirk-Burton, union of Huddersfield, Upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 7¼ miles (S. by W.) from Huddersfield; containing 2247 inhabitants. This township, which comprises about 2820 acres, includes part of the villages of Hinchliffe-Mill and Holmfirth, and extends upwards of two miles northward from the latter place, along the romantic dale of the Holme stream: much of the land is high moor, inclosed under an act, in 1827. The manufacture of woollen-cloth is carried on to a considerable extent. The head of a brass Roman spear was dug up in the bog on the moor, in 1820.
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1872) edited by John Marius Wilson:
CARTWORTH, a township in Kirkburton parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on a branch of the river Colne, 6 miles S of Huddersfield. It includes part of the village of Holmfirth, and part of the hamlet of Scholes. Acres, 2,820. Real property, £7,930; of which £122 are in quarries. Pop., 2,503. Houses, 503. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the woollen manufacture.
Holmfirth: Place-Names and Settlement (1994) by George Redmonds:
A difficult name. The "worth" is from an Old English word for an enclosure, but although the first element is said to be a personal name, it has not yet been identified. The fact that Cartworth also covers Hepworth, Fulstone, Wooldale and Thurstonland in the text of Domesday Book, has led to the suggestion that it was the administrative centre for an estate on the south-eastern side of the Holme valley. Curiously there is no "town" or village of Cartworth, although both Arrunden and Ramsden were medieval settlements; Cartworth House may therefore have been the original vill centre and the growth of the town of Holmfirth, partly in Cartworth, may help to explain why it never became a nucleus.
The extent of the Township of Cartworth during the late 1880s is shown below:
Notes and References
- Compiled from O.S. maps of the early 1890s.