Tom Horsfall (c.1888-1915)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- HORSFALL, TOM. Private. No 15159. 9th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Holmfirth. Son of Anthony and Matilda Horsfall, Well Hill, Underbank, Holmfirth. Killed in action, 7.8.1915, aged 27 years. Buried RIDGE WOOD MILITARY CEMETERY, VOORMEZEELE, BELGIUM. Grave location:- Plot 2, Row G, Grave 6.
- Private Horsfall's brother, Harry, received a letter from Private Thorpe Brook. In the letter he tells how his brother died, 'Your brother has given his life fighting as a true and brave British soldier. The wounds in both his legs were so severe that he lost a great quantity of blood and he passed away soon afterwards. He was quite conscious at the end and he died with his head in my hands knowing that he had done his duty well. He is to be buried quite close to a number of his brave comrades who died giving their lives in the brave manner he has done. I can realise how sad the news will come to you and it is consolation to know that yours is a home to which grief has entered like it has to many thousands more. There is no doubt whatever that your brother is now in the land where nothing but peace reigns and I pray that God will strengthen you all so that you are able to bear the trouble as well as it is possible to do.'
- ROH:- Underbank War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private TOM HORSFALL
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Saturday, August 7, 1915
- age: 27 years
- record ID: 443246