Tolson Dyeworks, also known as Armitage Bridge Dyeworks and Armitage Fold Dyeworks, is a former works situated in Armitage Bridge.
The derelict buildings were converted into office space by architecture and design company One17.
The dyeworks were built by George Senior Tolson (1815-1880) of Dalton. The works may initially have been known as the Spring Vale Dye Works, which were leased by George William Oldham and his brother Henry from the mid-1850s to 1862.
The building of the Meltham Branch Line in the 1860s had caused concerns that the constructions works — particularly Butternab Tunnel, which was adjacent to the spring — would lead to a deterioration in the water quality. Clauses were inserted into the Parliamentary Bill to ensure that the flow would not be tampered with or polluted. As a gesture of goodwill, John Worth, the manager of the dyeworks, was invited to cut the ceremonial first sod of the tunnel on 13 April 1864.
In April 1856, workers removing a quickset hedge near the dyeworks discovered the remains of a horse pistol, which many locals suspected was one of those used to kill William Horsfall in 1812. The pistol was apparently purchased by local landlord Jesse Kaye who then displayed it in the Big Valley Hotel.