Tite Buildings, Railway Street, Huddersfield
- location: Railway Street, Huddersfield
- status: still exists
- category: commercial building
- notes: named after its designer William Tite (later Sir William Tite)
Historic England Listing
RAILWAY STREET (West Side). Nos 8 and 10. Mid C19. A single composition with Nos 12-20 (even) St George's Square, which is, in toto, as follows. Ashlar. Hipped slate roof. 4 storeys and basement. Deeply moulded modillion eaves cornice. Continuous moulded sill bands to 2nd and 3rd floors. Main band above ground floor. Continuous moulded impost band to ground floor windows, below which ground floor is horiztonally rusticated. Moulded plinth. Vermiculated and rusticated quoins. 12 ranges of sashes. Ground floor windows round-arched with vermiculated keystones. 1st floor windows have moulded surrounds, gadrooned keystones, frames with pulvinated friezes and triangular pediments, and balustrades on consoles with vase-shaped balusters. Above pediments 2 triglyph-like consoles link them to the cills of the 2nd floor windows these have moulded surrounds and cornices. 3rd floor windows are separated by sunk and moulded panels, have plain pilasters, and brackets to cornices. Cast iron railings to areas, with baluster finials. St George's Street elevation is a simplified version of the former, with 12 window ranges, one of which is blind.
Discovering Old Huddersfield
Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
Looking from the Square towards the station notice the building on the left. This is the Tite Building, built in 1856, and so named after its designer Mr (Later Sir) William Tite. It deserves a little study for it is a rather splendid building. Tite was a great advocate of the neo-classical style of architecture and his interest is apparent here in the semi-circular arched openings to the ground floor with their rebated, stepped voussoirs which reflect the Italian style and in the pediments over the first floor windows which reflect the Greek. The building was originally used as warehouses and offices bv local woollen manufacturers.