Thurstonland Local Board
Thurstonland Local Board was the local authority body primarily responsible for issues relating to public health in the township of Thurstonland and was formed on 9 January 1862 with an initial membership of nine persons.
Typically elected by local rate payers and property owners, Local Boards were formed following the Public Health Act 1848 and the subsequent Local Government Act 1858, and had responsibility for the oversight of sewers, water supplies, public toilets, street cleaning, slaughterhouses, pavements, and burial grounds within their district.
Thurstonland Local Board was abolished towards the end of 1894 and superseded by Thurstonland Urban District Council.
Notes and References
- "The Local Government Act at Thurstonland" in Huddersfield Chronicle (18/Jan/1862).