Thurstonland

Thurstonland is a rural village situated 5 miles south of Huddersfield and 3 miles east of Holmfirth.

History

Historically it was also a township within the ecclesiastical Parish of Kirkburton and formed part of the Manor of Wakefield.

The place name is believed to have meant "Thorsteinn's land" in Old Norse.[1]

Thurstonland was governed by a local board (1862-1894) and then an urban district council (1894-1925). The latter merged with Farnley Tyas Urban District to become the combined Thurstonland and Farnley Tyas Urban District (1925-1938).

Extracts

Pigot and Co.'s Royal National and Commercial Directory of August 1841:

Thurstonland is a village and township in the same parish as New Mill, about a mile north-east therefrom. There is a chapel of ease under Kirk-Burton, and one for Wesleyan methodists. A free school for the instruction of children of the poor of this township was founded in 1763, by Mrs. Ann Ludlam. The population of the township, in 1831, was 1,098.

A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) edited by Samuel Lewis:

THURSTONLAND, a township, in the parish of Kirk-Burton, union of Huddersfield, Upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 5 miles (S. by E.) from Huddersfield; containing 1286 inhabitants. The township comprises about 2000 acres of land, in good cultivation; the substratum abounds with coal, of which three mines are in operation, and there are some quarries of building-stone. Storthes Hall, the seat of Charles Horsfall Bill, Esq., lord of the manor, is a handsome residence here. The village is pleasantly situated on an eminence: many of its inhabitants are employed in weaving. A meeting-house, built by subscription in 1810, was in 1834 converted into a church, and placed under the patronage of the Vicar; it is a neat plain edifice, containing 300 sittings, of which 100 are free. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A parochial school was built by Mrs. Ann Ludlam, who in 1763 endowed it with £500 vested in a turnpike trust, with a house and garden. Many Roman coins of brass, of the Lower Empire, were dug up in a field in 1838.

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1872) edited by John Marius Wilson:

THURSTONLAND, a township-chapelry, with a village, in Kirkburton parish, W. R. Yorkshire; near Stocks-Moor r. station, and 4½ miles SSE of Huddersfield. Post town, Huddersfield. Acres, 2,050. Real property, £3,859; of which £600 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 1,320; in 1861, 1,116. Houses, 224. The manor belongs to H. Bill, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, not reported. Patron, the Vicar of Kirkburton. The church was originally a dissenting chapel, built in 1810; and became connected with the establishment in 1834. There are a Wesleyan chapel and an endowed school with £35 a year.

Parish Boundary

The extent of the Civil Parish of Thurstonland (compiled from O.S. maps of the early 1890s) is shown below.

Further Reading

Notes and References

Thurstonland

Categories

Civil Parishes | Parish of Kirkburton | Places | Townships and Chapelries | Towns and villages
This page was last modified on 11 August 2018 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed