Thora (Bamforth series 4779)
"Thora" was a set of four hand-coloured postcards published by Bamforth & Co. Ltd. of Holmfirth.
The text is based on the song "Thora" composed by Fred. E. Weatherly (words) and Stephen Adams (music).
The postcards were published as series number 4779. Bamforth's also issued "Thora" as series numbers 4612, 4629, 4704, 4746, and 4939.
- I stand in a land of roses, but I dream of a land of snow,
- Where you and I were happy in the years of long ago.
- Nightingales in the branches, stars in the magic skies,
- But I only hear you singing, I only see your eyes.
- Come! come! come to me, Thora,
- Come once again and be
- Child of my dream, light of my life,
- Angel of love to me!
- I stand again in the North land, but in silence and in shame;
- Your grave is my only landmark, and men have forgotton my name.
- 'Tis a tale that is truer and older than any the sages tell,
- I loved you in life too little! I love you in death too well!
- Speak! speak! speak to me, Thora,
- Speak from your Heaven to me;
- Child of my dream, love of my life,
- Hope of my world to be!