Thomas Henry Garside (1891-1917)
Thomas Henry Garside was the fifth child of Richard Garside and Elizabeth Crompton, the daughter of Joseph Crompton, a weaver. The couple were were married on the 12 August 1883 at the Crompton's parish church, St. Mark's, Longwood. Richard gave his address as Lower Haigh House, which meant that at that time, St. Mark's was also his parish church.
At the time of his wedding, Richard was employed as a worker at Wilkinson's brickworks at Blackley and this was the same job he was doing nearly thirty years later in 1911. Lower Haigh House is just beyond Crosland Road above Kew Hill on the road to Blackley. In 1898 the family moved to 4 Blackley and finally in 1909, to 10 Lane End, Kew Hill, where they were living in 1911.
The Garsides never moved far from the Kew Hill area and it seems probable that the Joseph and Hannah Crompton who were their neighbours in 1891 were Elizabeth's parents, although by then he had become a farmer.
In all, the Garsides had thirteen children in the twenty-seven years they had been married by 1911; they lived in five rooms. Miraculously they had lost only one in infancy: Albert Ernest, their eleventh child, died at the age of six months on 15 October 1901,
Two children had married and moved away by 1911. One, Fred, married just before the census and lived next door at number 8 in 1911. Seven of those remaining — in age ranging from fifteen to twenty-seven — were at work, all in cotton textiles. Three were still at school; the youngest was four years old and not yet at school.
However, tragedy struck again when on 28 February 1913 their daughter Florence died in Mill Hill Isolation Hospital aged six years and four months.
We do not know precisely when Thomas joined the army but his high number and the fact that he received no 1914 or 15 Star, confirms he never reached the front before 1916. Since he served in the 2/5th Battalion of the Duke of Wellington's, a Territorial battalion, it seems possible he joined sometime in 1915 and arrived in France with the battalion in January 1917.
It could not have served long at the Front: Thomas was reported missing, presumed killed in the Battle of Bullecourt part of the struggle around Arras, on 3 May 1917 a day on which four other Lindley men died, and his body was never recovered. Thomas is remembered on the Arras memorial to the missing and on the memorial originally set up in the Kew Hill Chapel, which is now kept in the Methodist church on East Street. He is also remembered at Blackley Baptist Chapel.
Richard Garside received a total payout of £7 5/-, including Thomas's war gratuity.
The small community of Lindley Moor and Kew Hill remembered twelve men on the memorial in the now demolished chapel.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- GARSIDE, THOMAS HENRY. Private. No 241814. 2/5th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Longwood. Son of Richard and Elizabeth Garside, 10 Kew Hill, Lindley. Reported missing, presumed killed, at the Battle of Bullecourt, 3.5.1917, aged 25 years. Has no known grave. Commemorated ARRAS MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- ROH:- Huddersfield Drill Hall.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private THOMAS HENRY GARSIDE
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Thursday, May 3, 1917
- age: 25 years
- record ID: 1558084
- This would probably have been on a very small scale: only one of his sons was employed on the farm.