Thomas Dismore Bailey (1895-1915)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- BAILEY, THOMAS DISMORE. Private. No 3189. 'B' Coy, 1/5th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Field Street, Marsh, 29.12.1895. Son of Samuel and Selina Bailey of 5 Holme Place, Grasscroft Road, Marsh. (Samuel Bailey was employed as coachman by Mr J H Sykes, 'Bryancliffe', Edgerton, Huddersfield). Educated at Holy Trinity Church School, Huddersfield. He was a member of the choir at Holy Trinity Church. Worked as a tailor's cutter for Messrs Bairstow, Sons and Company. Enlisted 6th October, 1914. Embarked for France April, 1915. Was a stretcher-bearer in the Ambulance Section. Was shot by a sniper whilst going out to rescue a wounded comrade, 14.6.1915, aged 19 years. Buried RUE-DAVID MILITARY CEMETERY, FLEURBAIX. Grave location:- Plot 1, Row B, Grave 13.
- His parents received the following letter from their son's Commanding Officer, Captain J. E Eastwood, who wrote, 'We had just one man badly wounded, and your son, as a stretcher-bearer, was attending to him, when I heard that we had another man wounded higher up in the trenches, so your son set off to attend to him, and while doing so was shot dead on the spot.' Lieutenant A L McCally of the R.A.M.C wrote:- 'As you know, I have not been very long in charge of the Ambulance Section, but I have heard nothing but praise of your son from Sergeant Flood and his late comrades. He was always willing to do his share of whatever was in hand, and the fact of his at once going out to a dangerous place to help a wounded man shows that he had the very highest conception of what his duty was.'
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private THOMAS DISMORE BAILEY
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Monday, June 14, 1915
- age: 19 years
- record ID: 291511
Notes and References
- Field Street is shown on the O.S. maps of the early 1900s and is now the section of Lawrence Road between Clifton Road and Grasscourt Road.