Originally built in the 1830s as the Philosophical Hall, the building was redeveloped in 1850s as a theatre. It was eventually acquired at auction for £3,000 by actor and theatre proprietor Morton Price, who opened it as the Huddersfield Theatre Royal in October 1866.
It was rebuilt in 1880 following a fire and reopened in April 1881 with a seating capacity of around 1,250.
By the mid-1950s, actress Nita Valerie (1894-1975) and her husband Peter Bernard had become the proprietors of the theatre.
The Theatre Royal was demolished in the early 1960s during redevelopment of the surrounding area.