The following are entries from W.T. Pike's The West Riding of Yorkshire at the Opening of the Twentieth Century: Contemporary Biographies (1902) relevant to the Huddersfield area.
Sir Thomas Brooke, Bart., D.L., J.P., Armitage Bridge House, near Huddersfield; son of the late Thomas Brooke, of Honley, near Huddersfield; educated at Cheltenham College. Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries ; a Director of the London and North-Western Railway Company, and the Commercial Union Insurance Company ; has travelled extensively in the Continent and various parts of the world, more especially in the United States, Canada, and India ; Justice of the Peace for the West Riding ; formerly Chairman of the County Magistrates of the Upper Agbrigg Division ; now Chairman of the Quarter Sessions ; created a Baronet, 1899 ; formerly Lieutenant-Colonel of the 5th Administrative Battalion West Riding Rifle Volunteers ; Conservative in politics; contested the borough of Huddersfield for a seat in Parliament in 1874, and the Colne Valley Division of the West Riding in 1885. Married, firstly, in 1854, Eliza, the eldest daughter of the late E. Vickerman, of Steppes, near Huddersfield; she died in 1855 ; secondly, Amelia, daughter of the late David Dewar, of Dunfermline, N.B. ; she died in 1901. Clubs: Carlton and Constitutional, and The Club, Huddersfield.
Sir Joseph Crosland, KT., D.L., J.P., Royds Wood, Huddersfield ; third son of the late George Crosland, of Crosland Lodge, Huddersfield ; born at Huddersfield in 1826 ; educated privately. Elected a Director of the Huddersfield Bank, 1866, and Chairman, 1876 to 1897, when it was amalgamated with the London, City, and Midland Bank, of which he was elected a Director ; Knighted in 1889 ; represented Huddersfield in Parliament, 1893-95 ; Justice of the Peace for the borough of Huddersfield ; Justice of the Peace and Deputy-Lieutenant for the West Riding of Yorkshire, 1898 ; Freeman of county borough of Huddersfield; was Water-works and Improvements Commissioner, and. Chairman of Lockwood District Local Board when all three were included in the municipal incorporation of Huddersfield in 1868 ; Commissioner of Income Tax ; Governor and Vice-Chairman of Huddersfield Technical College. Married, in 1864, Mary Ann Linton (d. 1887), daughter of the late John Fox, of Lindley.
John Arthur Brooke, M.A., J.P., Fenay Hall, Huddersfield, and Fearn Lodge, Ardgay, Ross-shire, N.B. ; son of the late Thomas Brooke, of Honley ; born at Honley, 1844 ; educated at Repton School, and at Oriel College, Oxford; M.A. Justice of the Peace for the West Riding of Yorks since 1887 ; takes an interest in both municipal and county matters, and is an Alderman for the North Ward of the county borough of Huddersfield ; President of the Huddersfield Technical College, and connected with most of the philanthropic institutions of the district ; Director of John Brooke and Sons, Ltd., Armitage Bridge, Huddersfield. Married Blanche, daughter of Major C. S. Weston, of Clifton Hampden, Abingdon. Clubs : United University, and Constitutional.
William Brooke, J.P., Northgate Mount, Honley, near Huddersfield ; son of the late Thomas Brooke, of Honley; brother of Sir Thomas Brooke, of Armitage Bridge, and Archdeacon Brooke ; born at Honley, December 2nd, 1834 ; educated at Cheltenham College and privately. Justice of the Peace for the West Riding of Yorkshire ; Churchwarden of Honley Church ; interested in temperance work, and associated with most public movements of a philanthropic nature in Huddersfield and district ; Conservative in politics. Married Gertrude Elizabeth, fourth daughter of Joshua Ingham, of Blake Hall, Mirfield, Yorks.
Edward Hildred Carlile, J.P., Helme Hall, near Huddersfield, and the Manor Ho, Ponsbourne, Hertfordshire ; second son of the late Edward Carlile, of Richmond Hill, Surrey; born July 10th, 1852 ; educated privately. Formerly a partner in the firm of Jonas Brook and Bros., of Meltham Mills, near Huddersfield ; now a Director of Jonas Brook and Bros., Ltd. ; was recently a Director of J. and P. Coats, Ltd. ; Justice of the Peace for the county, and for the county borough of Huddersfield ; formerly Captain in the 2nd West Yorkshire Yeomanry Cavalry ; now Lieutenant-Colonel Commanding 2nd Volunteer Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment; was the Conservative candidate for the borough of Huddersfield at the General Election of 1900 ; has travelled in the United States, America, Canada, India, and the Continent; is associated with most of the religious and philanthropic institutions of the district. Married Isabella, third daughter of Cornelius Hanbury, of Richmond Hill, Surrey.
Colonel Frederick Greenwood, J.P., Edgerton Lodge, near Huddersfield ; son of the late William Greenwood, F.R.C.S.Eng. ; born at Huddersfield, July 8th, 1826 ; educated at University College, London. Late Lieutenant-Colonel commanding 6th West Yorkshire Rifles ; Justice of the Peace for the West Riding of Yorks, also for the county borough of Huddersfield. Married, in 1861, Elizabeth (deceased), second daughter of the late Robert Whittaker, of Hurst, Lancashire; only surviving son, Captain Herbert Darnton Egerton Greenwood, now serving with his regiment, the Duke of Wellington's Own, in South Africa, was wounded at Paardeberg. Club : Junior Carlton.
William Priestley Hellawell, J.P., Croft House, Paddock, Huddersfield ; only son of the late Jonas Hellawell, M.F.P. & S., L.S.A. ; born at Huddersfield ; educated at the Rev. Henry Ellershaw's, M.A., private school, Conisborough, and at the Lycée Impériale, Versailles. Formerly a member of the Huddersfield School Board, and Huddersfield Board of Guardians; Chairman of the Colne Valley Central Conservative Association; President of the Huddersfield Angling Association; Justice of the Peace for the county borough of Huddersfield. Married Sarah, third daughter of the late Edward Hill, of Huddersfield, and has one son, Claude W. Hellawell, B.A. Oxon.
John Hinchliffe, J.P., Bull House Hall, Penistone ; son of John Hinchliffe, of Scholes ; born at Scholes, July 27th, 1829 ; educated at Birstall, Leeds and Huddersfield College. Justice of the Peace for the West Riding since 1894 ; formerly Chairman to the Thurlstone Urban District Council ; Chairman of the Thuristone School Board ; member of the Penistone Burial Board ; a Governor of the Penistone Grammar School ; Chairman of the Holmfirth Division Liberal Association ; member (with Cobden, Bright and Wilson) of the Anti Corn Law League ; has now relinquished almost all public duties on account of age. Married, May 26th, 1851, Judith, daughter of Mr. D. Roebuck, of Thongsbridge ; Mr. and Mrs. Hinchliffe celebrated their golden wedding in May, 1901.
James Nield Sykes, J.P., Field Head, Lindley, near Huddersfield ; son of the late John Sykes, of Lindley ; born at Lindley, May 8th, 1825 ; educated privately, and at Huddersfield College. Formerly a member of the firm of Joseph Sykes Brothers, card clothing manufacturers, of Lindley ; member of the Lindley Local Board till its incorporation with the county borough of Huddersfield; presented a recreation ground to the public at Lindley in 1893 ; received the Freemanship of the county borough of Huddersfield, March 12th, 1895 ; has travelled extensively in Russia, and has visited Egypt and the Holy Land, and most places of interest on the Continent and in Great Britain; Justice of the Peace for the West Riding of Yorkshire, and the county borough of Huddersfield ; Director of the Huddersfield Bank 1882-97, when it was incorporated with the London City and Midland Bank ; Mr. J. N. Sykes, J.P. formerly hunted with leading packs of hounds, including the Holme Valley Harriers. Married, in 1852, Anne, eldest daughter of the late John Fox, of Lindley, and has issue three daughters. Club : The Club, Huddersfield.
Alfred Walker, J.P., Low Hills, Lindley, Huddersfield ; son of the late Joseph Walker, of Huddersfield ; born at Lindley, January 29th, 1838 ; educated at Lindley, Huddersfield College, and Rochdale. Formerly of the firm of Joseph Walker and Sons, of Plover Mills, Lindley, now retired ; elected Councillor of Huddersfield on its formation in 1868 ; made an Alderman in 1874 ; Mayor in 1878-79-80, after an interregnum of a few years is again an Alderman of the Council ; has travelled in the United States, Egypt, and the Continent ; for many years a Director of the Huddersfield and Halifax Union Bank ; a Governor of the Huddersfield Infirmary ; past President of the Huddersfield Chamber of Commerce, and President of the Huddersfield Liberal Association ; Justice of the Peace for the borough, and for the West Riding of Yorks. Married, in 1864, Sarah, youngest daughter of the late Henry Crowther, of Broadfield House, Lockwood, Huddersfield. Member of The Club, Huddersfield.
Rev. Canon Henry Lowther Clarke, M.A., The Vicarage, Huddersfield ; son of the Rev. William Clarke, M.A., Incumbent of Firbank, Westmorland ; born at Firbank Parsonage, November 23rd, 1850 ; educated at Sedbergh Grammar School, and St. John's College, Cambridge ; B.A., 1874 ; M.A., 1877, Cambridge, and M.A., 1886, Durham. Vicar of Huddersfield ; ordained Deacon, 1874 ; Priest, 1875 ; Vicar of Hedon, 1876-83 ; Vicar of St. Martin's, York, 1884-90 ; Vicar of Dewsbury, 1890-1901 ; Rural Dean of Dewsbury, 1898-1901 ; Hon. Canon of Wakefield, 1893 ; Vicar of Huddersfield and Rural Dean, 1901 ; Proctor in the Convocation of York, 1902; Official of the Archdeaconry of Huddersfield, 1902 ; Governor of Pocklington Grammar School, and of Archbishop Holgate's School, York. Married Alice Lovell Kemp (1876), daughter of Canon Kemp, Master of the Charterhouse, Hull.
Venerable Archdeacon William Donne, M.A., The Vicarage, Wakefield; son of Stephen Donne, and grandson of James Donne, successive head-masters of Oswestry Grammar School ; born at Oswestry, in 1845; educated at his father's school, Wellington College, and Brasenose, Oxford ; M.A.Oxon., 1868. A few years master in a school at Summertown; ordained to a curacy under the Right Rev. W. W. Jones, D.D., present Archbishop of Cape Town, in 1872 ; Curate of Summertown, 1872-74 ; Curate of Rotherhithe, 1874 ; Vicar of All Hallow's, East India Docks, 1876-81 ; Vicar of Limehouse, 1881-86 ; Vicar of Great Yarmouth, Rural Dean of Flegg, 1886-92 ; Vicar of Wakefield and Archdeacon of Huddersfield, 1892 ; Chaplain-in-Ordinary to the late Queen, 1896 ; Hon. Chaplain to the King, 1901.
Rev. James Collins Duncan, M.A., Meltham Mills Vicarage, near Huddersfield ; son of the late Rev. J. I. Duncan, Vicar of Christ Church, Carlisle; born at Drumconrath, co. Meath, Ireland ; educated at Carlisle School, and Queen's College, and Wycliffe Hall, Oxford; B.A., 1883 (2nd class Theological School) ; M.A., 1895. Ordained, in 1883, to curacy of Selborne, Hants ; Chaplain of St. Mary's and St. John's Hospitals, Ripon, 1885-90 ; Association Secretary of the Church Missionary Society for the diocese of Ely, and part of the diocese of St. Alban's, 1891-1901 ; Vicar of Meltham Mills, Huddersfield ; and Chaplain of the Meltham Mills Convalescent Home, 1901. Married, in 1884, Frances Eleanor, daughter of William Metcalfe, of Carlisle.
Rev. Canon William Stephenson Turnbull, M.A., The Vicarage, Penistone, Yorkshire ; son of the late William Turnbull, M.D., upwards of fifty years a physician in Huddersfield ; born at Huddersfield, 1827 ; educated at the Collegiate School under Dr. Wilkinson (afterwards head-master of Marlborough), and Dr. Francis Harvey — with private tutors, and at St. Peter's College, Cambridge ; Scholar of St. Peter's, 1847 ; B.A., 1850 ; M.A., 1853 ; ordained Deacon and Priest at Lincoln, 1852 ; Curate of Carlton-in-Lindrick, Notts, 1852-54 ; Vicar of Penistone, 1855 (area of the parish, twenty-seven square miles) ; Incumbent of Midhope, 1855, by Dispensation from Canterbury (area of the Chapelry, which adjoins Penistone, seven square miles) ; Domestic Chaplain to the late Duke of St. Alban's, 1857 ; Honorary Canon of Wakefield Cathedral, St. Willibrord, 1891 ; a Commissioner under the Commission of Inquiry into the special needs of the Diocese issued by Bishop Walsham How, in 1889 ; an Assessor under the Clergy Discipline Act, 1892 ; a Surrogate at the commencement of the Court of Probate Act, 1857 ; Surrogate for granting Marriage Licences in the Dioceses of Ripon and Wakefield ; a member of the Diocesan Day School Association ; Chairman of the District Technical Instruction Committee ; a Governor of the Penistone Grammar School, founded in 1392, one of the oldest public schools in England, and now a flourishing secondary school, with new scheme and new buildings ; Chairman of the Managers of four elementary schools ; Chairman of Penistone Urban District Council, and ex-officto Justice of the Peace for the West Riding; Chairman of the Joint Committee exercising the powers and duties of the Penistone Burial Board ; Chairman of the Penistone and Thurlstone Building Society ; President of the Penistone Mutual Improvement Society, the Penistone Annual Musical Festival, the Penistone and District Choral Society, and the Penistone Tennis Club ; a Freemason ; P.M. of the Wharncliffe Lodge; Past Provincial Grand Chaplain, West Yorkshire ; P.Z. of the Wharncliffe Chapter ; P.P.G.S.B., etc.
Daniel Henry Beegling, Cooinda, 66, John William Street, Huddersfield ; son of William F. Beegling ; born in New South Wales, Australia ; educated at Sydney University, Edinburgh University, Heidelburg University, and Zurich University ; B.A., Sydney University ; M.B., C. M., Edinburgh University. Commenced practice in Sydney, 1894 ; left in 1897, and practised for two years in London ; removed to Huddersfield in 1899, and has continued there in practice since ; late President of the Students' Representative Council, Edinburgh University ; late Editor of The Student ; late Demonstrator of Anatomy, Minto House School of Medicine, Edinburgh ; Delegate from Edinburgh University to the eighth centenary celebration of the University of Montpellier, France, and to the College de France, Paris ; Surgeon to the London and North-Western Railway Company for Huddersfield district ; Surgeon to Huddersfield Post Office ; member of the Harveian Society and Huddersfield Medical Society ; late Amateur Champion (100 yards) of New South Wales and Queensland, Australia, and winner of over thirty first prizes in races of 100 yards to quarter mile ; played cricket and football for the first teams of Sydney University and Edinburgh University, and selected to represent New South Wales in International Rugby football ; now an active member of the Huddersfield Golf Club. Married, May 23rd, 1894, Jean, daughter of Thomas Grainger Taylor, of Orwell Lodge, Edinburgh. Clubs : Huddersfield ; Conservative ; Borough ; Australian, London.
Thomas Kilner Clarke, 52, Trinity Street, Huddersfield ; son of the late William James Clarke, surgeon, of Huddersfield ; born at Huddersfield, November 11th, 1843 ; educated at St. Peter's School, York, Emmanuel College, Cambridge (1st class mathematical honours), Paris, and Guy's Hospital, London ; M.A., M.B. Cantab, 1871 ; M.D., T.C.D., 1873 ; F.R.C.S. Eng., 1872. Fellow of the Royal Medical Chirurgical and British Gynacological Societies ; Vice-President Northern Gynzecological Society ; Ex-President Leeds and West Riding of Yorks Medico-Chirurgical Society ; Senior Surgeon to Huddersfield Infirmary ; Medical Referee, Workmen's Compensation Act ; Certifying Factory Surgeon ; joined his late father in practice in Huddersfield, 1872, succeeding to the practice on his death, 1873, retiring from general practice in and now practising as a consultant ; author of contributions: "Excision of the Tongue," Provincial Medical Journal, 1887 ; "Cases of Gastroenterostomy," British Medical Journal, 1889, 1891 ; and La Tribune Medical, 1890, etc. Married Adele Agnes, elder daughter of William Tilly, of Neuilly, Paris.
James William Draper, The Pent House, Almondbury, Huddersfield ; son of the late William Draper, of Bushton, Wootton Bassett, Wilts ; born at Bushton ; educated privately and at University College, London ; M.R.C.S. Eng., 1881 ; L.S.A., 1883 ; L.R.C.P. Lond., 1888. He was three years of age when his father died ; his stepfather, the late Henry Rudler, of Ballards Ash Farm, caring well for him during his boyhood ; before entering the medical profession his guardians apprenticed him to the firm of Walker Bros., chemists, Malmesbury, Wilts, after which he attended the lectures and laboratory instruction at the School of the Pharmaceutical Society in Bloomsbury Square, London, for nearly two years ; passed the major examination,and for a time coached pupils ; having served a pupilage with Dr. Parrott, of Camberwell Road, he entered the University College and Hospital and passed his M.R.C.S. in the shortest time permitted ; continued his medical studies and practised in London for four years, and in 1885 removed to Huddersfield, purchasing the practice previously conducted by Messrs. Dyson and Abbott ; in 1894 he built his present house on the site of the Old Pent House, Almondbury ; has been Churchwarden of the Almondbury Parish Church since 1894 ; for seventeen years member of the Huddersfield Medical Society ; President, 1898-99 ; Fellow of the British Gynaecological Society ; member of the British Medical Association, and Leeds and West Riding Medico-Chirurgical Society. Married Eliza, only daughter of the late Richard Thornton, of Kirkheaton, by whom he has one son and three daughters.
Harold Haigh, M.A., Clifton Lodge, Meltham, near Huddersfield ; son of the late Thomas Allen Haigh, M.R.C.S. Eng., and L.S.A., Meltham, who for upwards of fifty years held most of the medical appointments in Meltham and district ; born at Meltham, August 4th, 1870 ; educated at Cambridge University, and St. Mary's Hospital, London ; M.A. Camb. ; M.R.C.S. Eng. ; L.R.C.P. Lond. Succeeded to his father's practice at Meltham, in 1896 ; Medical Officer to the Meltham Mills Convalescent Home ; member of the Huddersfield Medical Society. Married, August 22nd, 1901, Louise, daughter of George T. Porritt, of Crosland Hall, near Huddersfield
Lewis John Hobson, M.D., 30, Swan Road, Harrogate ; son of William Hobson ; born at Eaton Socon, Bedfordshire, in 1852 ; educated at the Bedford Schools, first prizeman there ; subsequently at University College, London, where he obtained the gold medals in physiology, comparative anatomy, materia medica, midwifery, and surgery ; in 1875, took the degrees of M.B. (Honours), and B.S., University of London, the diploma of M.R.C.S. Eng. ; M.D. Lond., 1882 ; F.R.C.S. Eng., 1887. Honorary Consulting Physician (late Senior Physician) to the Harrogate Royal Bath Hospital and Rawson Convalescent Home ; formerly Honorary Physician, York County Hospital ; Acting Medical Officer, Royal Northern Sea Bathing Infirmary, at Scarborough ; Senior House Surgeon to the Royal Infirmary, Newcastle-on-Tyne ; House Surgeon to the General Hospital, Bristol ; author of papers on "Eczema," and "Psoriasis." Married, in 1880, Frances Vernon Armitage, youngest daughter of the late George Armitage, J.P., D.L., of Milnsbridge House, Huddersfield.
James Robert Kaye, Wentworth Lodge, Wakefield ; son of the late Mr. James Kaye, of Perth ; born at Kinclaven ; educated at Perth National Schools, St. Andrew's University, and Glasgow University ; M.B., C.M.Glasgow ; D.P.H. Camb. ; F.C.S. House Surgeon, Hunts County Hospital, 1880 ; Assistant Medical Officer to Rubery Hill Asylum, Birmingham, 1882-84 ; District Medical Officer to the city of Birmingham, 1884-89 ; appointed Medical Officer of Health at Huddersfield, 1890-95 ; County Medical Officer for the West Riding, 1896, to present time ; Hon. Secretary of the Yorkshire Branch of the Incorporated Society of Medical Officers of Health ; member of the Epidemic Society ; author of "History of Sewage Disposal," "How to Take Care of Number One," "Prevention of Infectious Disease," "Hygiene : its place in Education," and "Death Registration and Certificates." Married Catherine Kate, daughter of Charles Henry Barwick, of London.
Edmund Robinson, 42, Park Square, Leeds ; son of John Robinson, of Huddersfield ; born at Cliff House, Honley, November 7th, 1844 ; educated at Huddersfield College and the Leeds School of Medicine ; M.R.C.S. Eng., L.S.A. Lond. Elected member of Council and Lecturer on Anatomy, Leeds School of Medicine, 1874 ; Lecturer on Osteology, the Medical Department of the Yorkshire College, 1884 ; appointed Medical Officer to the Leeds Post Office, 1879 ; Consulting Medical Officer to the Little Sisters' Home for the Sick Poor, 1872.
William Robinson, 6, New North Road, Huddersfield ; son of the late George Robinson, M.R.C.S., who was the first surgeon appointed to the Huddersfield Infirmary ; born at Huddersfield, April 28th, 1818 ; educated at the University College, London ; M.R.C.S., 1839, and L.S.A., 1840. Appointed House Surgeon to Huddersfield Infirmary in 1840, holding the position four years, when he succeeded to his father's practice, and was appointed Hon. Surgeon to the Huddersfield Infirmary ; was the first President of the Huddersfield Medical Association ; Hon. Consulting Surgeon, Huddersfield Infirmary, 1893 ; retired from active practice in 1893, and was in turn succeeded by his son, Dr. Frederick William Robinson, thus establishing a link of over sixty years' active service and connecting three generations on the staff of the Huddersfield Infirmary. The accompanying portrait was taken on November 9th, 1901, at eighty-five years of age. Amongst his reminiscences of his studies at the University College, London, are his journeys to London on the now obsolete stage-coach ; during his long and useful life he has devoted himself exclusively to his profession, and up to the last four or five years, has been honoured with the confidence of some of his old friends and patients.
Frederick William Robinson, M.D., Granville House, Huddersfield ; son of William Robinson, and grandson of George Robinson, both formerly senior surgeons of Huddersfield Infirmary ; born, January 17th, 1859 ; M.D., C. M. Aberdeen ; F.R.C.S. Eng. Late Assistant Demonstrator of Anatomy at Charing Cross Hospital, London ; Hon. Surgeon of Huddersfield Infirmary ; Fellow of the Medico-Chirurgical Society, London ; member of the Medico-Chirurgical Society, Leeds ; late President of Huddersfield Medico-Chirurgical Society ; contributions to medical literature include — "The Culture Method of Treating Wounds by Decalcified 'Cancellous Tissue'" ; is the inventor of decalcified cancellous tissue and several surgical instruments, including a cranial osteotome worked by an electric motor ; attached, as civil surgeon, to Highland Brigade Field Hospital in South Africa ; elected a member of the Huddersfield Town Council, November 1st, 1900. Married, July 29th, 1887, Miss Moncrieff Wilson, daughter of James Moncrieff Wilson, F.I.A., late Manager of the Queen Insurance Company, Liverpool. Clubs: Conservative, and The Club, Huddersfield.
Richard Williamson Harper, M.A., 5, King's Bench Walk, Temple, London, and The Yews, Lockwood, Huddersfield ; son of the late George Harper, J.P., of "The Yews," Lockwood ; born at Acton, Middlesex, June 2nd, 1855 ; educated at Shrewsbury School, and Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge (scholar) ; B.A., 1878, M.A., 1881. Called to the Bar, January, 1881 ; as trustee of his father's will, controls the Huddersfield Chronicle, the oldest established paper in Huddersfield, founded in 1858. Clubs: Whitehall, London, and Huddersfield.
Robert Potter Berry, Edgerton, Huddersfield ; son of the late John Graham Berry, of Broomfield, Fixby, near Huddersfield ; born at Huddersfield, March 5th, 1846 ; educated at the Royal Grammar School (Philip and Mary) at Clitheroe. Articled with the late Allan Hellawell Owen, of the firm of Hesp, Fenton and Owen, and for some time with Edwards, Layton and Jaques, of Ely Place, London ; commenced practice in 1870, and was afterwards joined in partnership by his brother, the late Walton Graham Berry, until his brother's death, in 1889 ; twice President of the Huddersfield Incorporated Law Society ; Solicitor to the West Riding Union Banking Company, Ltd. ; Director of the Huddersfield and Upper Agbrigg Savings Bank ; a Commissioner for Ontario and Quebec ; formerly an Officer in the 6th West York Rifles ; one of the founders and a Vice-President of the Huddersfield Cricket and Athletic Club ; Trustee of Fenton's Charity, and a Trustee of Bradley Church School. Married Alice, daughter of the late Benjamin Gartside, of Manchester, and has issue four daughters. Club: Conservative.
Edward Foster Brook, New North Road, Huddersfield ; son of the late Alderman George Brook ; born at Huddersfield, September 19th, 1855 ; educated at Huddersfield College, and at a private school at Alderley Edge, Cheshire. Articled at the age of seventeen to Mr. Charles Mills, of Huddersfield ; passed the final examination for the Law, January, 1878 ; obtained a prize of the Incorporated Law Society ; admitted Solicitor, 1878, and then joined Mr. J. I. Clough as partner, practising under the style of Clough and Brook, retiring from the partnership in 1885 ; commenced practice alone at 19, John William Street, Huddersfield, the same year ; Trustee of the Huddersfield and Upper Agbrigg Savings Bank ; member of the Incorporated Law Society of the United Kingdom ; President of the Huddersfield Incorporated Law Society since 1900 ; re-elected, Igor ; Assistant Official Receiver in Bankruptcy for the Huddersfield District since 1895 ; a member of the Huddersfield Golf Club, and a member of the C.T.C. ; takes a great interest in cycling. Clubs : The Club, and the Borough Club, Huddersfield.
James Harrop Dransfield, The Elms, New North Road, Huddersfield ; son of the late Charles Dransfield, of Huddersfield, and great-grandson of the Rev. John Sunderland, M.A,, Rector of Kirkheaton, and great-great-grandson of the Rev. John Harrop, M.A., Vicar of Holmfirth ; born at Grafton Place, Huddersfield, January 2nd, 1854 ; educated at the Collegiate School, Huddersfield, at Clare Mount School, Wallersea, and at a private tutor's at Farcett, near Peterborough. Solicitor ; Commissioner ; New Inn Prizeman, 1876 ; LL.B. of the University of London, and a Graduate in Honours in Equity and Common Law ; ex-Secretary and President for two years of the Huddersfield Law Society ; member, in 1898, of the Council of the Incorporated Law Society of the United Kingdom ; original member and one of the founders of the Huddersfield Lawn Tennis Club — at present and for twelve past years Hon. Secretary ; one of the four founders of the Huddersfield Golf Club, and its first Hon. Secretary ; has been a member of the Muddersheld School Board for four years ; for some years Secretary of the Huddersfield Subscription Library. Married, in 1884, Minnie, youngest daughter of the late George Thomas Congreve, of Stretton, Third Avenue, Hove, and has issue two daughters, Phyllis and Iona.
Thomas James Dyson, Hartley Cottage, Kirkburton ; eldest son of the late George Dyson, of Netherton, near Huddersfield, first President of the Huddersfield Incorporated Law Society, and grandson of James Campey Laycock ; born at Netherton, December 12th, 1862 ; educated at Charterhouse, and Christ Church, Oxford ; B.A., in 1883, with honours in law. Articled to his uncle, William Laycock, of the firm of Laycock, Dyson and Laycock, solicitors, Huddersfield, in 1883 ; admitted a Solicitor, 1886, and joined the firm of Laycock, Dyson and Laycock, in 1887 ; local Director of Solicitors Benevolent Association ; a Freemason, and member of the Lodge of Harmony, 275 ; has travelled in Australia and India ; favourite recreation : shooting. Married, in 1890, Julia Ethel, only daughter of the late Joseph Armitage Armitage, J.P., of Milnsbridge House, Huddersfield. Clubs : Isthmian, Piccadilly, London ; The Club, Huddersfield.
Colonel Charles Edward Freeman, J.P., Oakwood, Edgerton, Huddersfield ; third son of the late John Freeman ; born January 22nd, 1845 ; educated at St. Peter's School, York. Articled to, and afterwards joined the firm of Brook, Freeman and Batley, solicitors, of which he is now the sole surviving partner ; has practised extensively in conveyancing, commercial, parliamentary, and electioneering businesses ; formerly Conservative Agent for South-West Yorkshire ; Registrar of Huddersfield County Court, and District Registrar ; twice President of the Huddersfield Incorporated Law Society ; many years President of the Huddersfield Lawn Tennis Club ; President of the Huddersfield Victoria Sick Poor Nursing Association ; Hon. Secretary of Meltham Mills Convalescent Home, the Soldiers' and Sailors' Families' Association, the Huddersfield Club, etc. ; Honorary Colonel, and late Lieutenant-Colonel commanding the 2nd Volunteer Battalion Duke of Wellington's West Riding Regiment, Head-quarters, Huddersfield ; commanded the Battalion fourteen years, and was Field Officer twenty-four-total service, thirty-five years, 1860-95 ; Justice of the Peace for the county borough of Huddersfield, 1886 ; one of the original promoters of the Huddersfield Athletic Club ; played in the Yorkshire County Rugby Football Team, 1870 to 1873. Married, in 1873, Sarah Caroline, eldest daughter of Richard Moxon, J.P., of Pontefract, and has issue one son and two daughters. Clubs : Constitutional, and The Huddersfield Club.
Charles Hall, Birksgate, Kirkburton, near Huddersfield ; son of the late Charles Hall, wool merchant ; born at Ballroyd, Longwood, Huddersfield, October 26th, 1854 ; educated at Turton Hall, Gildersome. Articled to Hesp, Fenton and Owen, Huddersfield ; admitted Solicitor, November, 1875, afterwards joining the firm as partner ; succeeded to the practice, taking Mr. H. White as partner, who has since retired, and the practice is now continued solely by Mr. Hall ; Clerk to the Commissioners of Taxes for the Division of Upper Agbrigg ; Steward of the Manors of Almondbury and Penistone ; twice President of the Huddersfield Incorporated Law Society ; member of the Thurstonland District Council. Married Edith Harriet, the only child of the late A. H. Owen, of Bent House, Meltham, and has issue one surviving son, Francis Vaughan, Mr. Charles Hall. now at Harrow School.
Arthur Edward Townend Hinchcliffe, LL.B., Brook House, Fartown, Huddersfield ; son of the late Edward Hinchcliffe, solicitor, of Bretton West and Barnsley ; born at Barnsley, August, 1865 ; educated at Holyrood Schools, Barnsley, afterwards at Owen's College, and Victoria University, Manchester, where he graduated Bachelor of Laws in 1901 ; Associate of Owen's College. Solicitor ; articled with the late Mr. John Haigh, solicitor and Official Receiver in Bankruptcy, Huddersfield ; passed Solicitors' final examination with honours in June, 1893 ; admitted a solicitor in Trinity term, 1893 ; member of the Incorporated Law Society of the United Kingdom, and of the Committee of the Huddersfield Law Society ; Commissioner for Oaths ; for some time Deputy Official Receiver in Bankruptcy for the Huddersfield district ; member of the firm of Armitage, Sykes and Hinchcliffe, solicitors, Huddersfield ; Solicitor to numerous public companies and incorporated bodies ; one of the Founders and Honorary Secretary of the Huddersfield Liberal Club ; an enthusiastic cricketer and cyclist ; member of the Committee of the Huddersfield Cricket and Athletic Club. Married, in 1894, Hannah, second daughter of the late William Almond, of Upper Brook Street, Manchester, solicitor.
Frederick Charles Lloyd, North Bank, Birkby, Huddersfield ; son of Arthur Charlee Lloyd, of Wamfelin, Monmouthshire ; born at Pontypool, Monmouthshire, September 9th, 1860 ; educated at Wern Grammar School, Monmouth. Articled with the Town Clerk of Cardiff ; admitted solicitor, 1890 ; subsequently appointed Deputy Town Clerk of Cardiff, and the first Clerk of the Peace of Cardiff, in 1894 ; acted as Adviser to the Harbour Trusts Committee for the port of Cardiff, a scheme involving the turnover of many millions sterling ; in 1895, was appointed Town Clerk of Huddersfield ; takes a deep interest in municipal legislation, and has represented both Cardiff and Huddersfield at the meetings of the Municipal Corporations' Associations for many years ; is Hon. Secretary in the West Riding for the National Footpaths Preservation Society ; served as a Volunteer formerly in the Monmouthshire Rifles, and afterwards underwent a course of instruction at the School of Submarine Mining at Plymouth, holding a commission as First Lieutenant in the Severn Division of the Royal Engineers, up to his appointment as Town Clerk of Huddersfield.
Robert Davis Maddison, J.P. ; son of the late Ralph Rawling Maddison, of Barnsley, mining engineer ; born July 26th, 1851, at Haltwhistle, Northumberland ; educated under private tuition and at Huddersfield College. Solicitor ; Chairman of Barnsley School Board since January, 1895 ; member of Barnsley Town Council since 1898 ; Justice of the Peace for the Borough of Barnsley ; Consular Agent for the United States ; Clerk to Ardsley Urban District Council ; a Governor of the Grammar School, and connected with most of the charitable institutions in the town. Married Caroline, daughter of the late William Horsfall, steel wire manufacturer, Barnsley. The steel wire industry was once the staple trade of the town, and the Horsfalls were the last family by whom it was carried on. Though Mr. Maddison's father was a member of a very old Northumbrian family, his grandmother, on his father's side, was a Yorkshire lady, a member of the Porter family, who were intimately connected with the South Yorkshire coal trade, and a member of which (Mr. Maddison's great-uncle, Joseph Porter) sunk the first coal-pit in Barnsley.
Charles Henry Marshall, West Royd, Holmfirth, near Huddersfield ; son of the late John W. Marshall, Springfield, Hill Top, West Bromwich, Staffordshire ; born at Hill Top in 1856 ; educated privately, and at the Grammar School, Dudley, Worcestershire. Articled to the late Ernest F. Whitehouse, solicitor, Dudley ; admitted in January, 1882, in which year he came to Huddersfield, and has since practised there at his offices in New Street ; appointed Registrar of the County Court, Holmfirth, in 1896 ; for some years a member of the Local Board, Holmfirth ; takes an active interest in politics, and is a strong Conservative ; formerly took great interest in amateur theatricals, and is still an admirer and supporter of the drama, and of sport generally. Married, in 1885, Helen, youngest daughter of the late George Reynolds, Godstone, Surrey.
Charles Mills, Thornleigh, Edgerton, Huddersfield ; son of the late William Mills, ironfounder and engineer, of Huddersfield ; born December 1toth, 1837 ; educated at Making-Place Hall College, Clifford's Inn ; Prizeman, 1859. Articled with Mr. T. W. Clough, solicitor, of Huddersfield, and afterwards with Messrs. Layton and Jaques, of London ; commenced practice on own account in Huddersfield in 1859 ; entered into partnership with Mr. L. R. Bibby in 1877, under the style of Mills and Bibby, which continued until 1890, when he was joined by Mr. G. B. Nalder, formerly Town Clerk of Barrow-in-Furness, and afterwards of Huddersfield. Mr. Nalder accepted the Town Clerkship of Southampton, and Mr. Mills was joined by his only son, Mr. F. W. Mills, and is now practising as Mills and Co., of Station Street Buildings, Station Street, Huddersfield ; Notary Public and Perpetual Commissioner ; Commissioner for Oaths ; Clerk to the County Borough Magistrates of Huddersfield ; Solicitor to the Huddersfield School Board ; Secretary to the Huddersfield Chamber of Commerce ; Hon. Secretary of the Huddersfield Club ; one of the Governors of the Huddersfield and Upper Agbrigg Savings Bank ; author of "Attic Nights," and other works. Married Emma, the eldest daughter of the late John H. Walker, of Huddersfield.
John William Piercy, Gledholt, Huddersfield ; son of the Rev. George Piercy ; born in Canton, China ; educated at Woodhouse Grove School, and Taunton College ; LL.B., London, 1879 (Honours in Roman Law and Jurisprudence). Articled to the late Mr. Samuel Learoyd, solicitor, Huddersfield ; admitted a solicitor in 1877 ; soon afterwards joined the firm of Messrs. Learoyd and Company, Buxton Road, Huddersfield, but since 1887 has practised in Cloth Hall Street, Huddersfield ; President of the Huddersfield Subscription Library ; ex-President of the Huddersfield Incorporated Law Society ; ex-President of the Huddersfield Y.M.C.A. ; Solicitor to the Huddersfield Chamber of Trade, and to the Marsden Urban District Council ; interested in history and philosophy. Married Elizabeth, daughter of J. Braim, Whinbecke, York. Member of the Huddersfield Club.
Thomas Henry Ramsden, Oakwell, Golcar ; son of the late John Ramsden, of Golcar ; born at Golcar in 1846 ; educated privately and at Ripponden Commercial College. Articled to the late Mr. T. W. Clough, solicitor, of Huddersfield ; admitted a solicitor in 1870, and was the founder of the firm of Ramsden, Sykes and Ramsden, in which he is now the senior partner ; ex-President of the Golcar Conservative Association, and has taken an active part in the political life of the district ; is well known as a sportsman and a good all-round shot, having won several cups and trophies at pigeon shooting contests ; has rented shooting estates in different parts of the county, and also in Wales and Norfolk. Married, in 1871, Caroline, daughter of the late James Hirst, of Golcar, and has five children — two sons and three daughters. His eldest son has recently joined him in business, and his Mr. T. H. Ramsden. eldest daughter is married to Mr. W. Ramsden, his partner in business. Member of "The Club," Huddersfield.
William Ramsden, Claremont, Huddersfield ; son of the late James Ramsden, woollen manufacturer, of Meltham, near Huddersfield ; born at Meltham in 1857, and resided there until 1894 ; educated at private schools. Articled, at the age of sixteen, to Mr. Robert Potter Berry, solicitor, of Huddersfield ; passed final examination for the law in 1878, and obtained a prize of the Incorporated Law Society ; after being admitted solicitor in 1878, joined the firm of Ramsden and Sykes, consisting of Mr. T. H. Ramsden and Mr. Alfred Sykes ; the business has since been continued under the name of Ramsden, Sykes and Ramsden, but Mr. Alfred Sykes retired some years ago, and Mr. Frank Sykes was subsequently admitted into the firm ; has been for fourteen years Deputy Steward of the Manor of Marsden ; has business interests in America, and has paid two visits to that country, once on behalf of the Board of Trade, Companies' Department ; Deputy Chairman of the Huddersfield Incorporated Law Society ; Director of the Railway Signalling firm of Evans O'Donnell and Company, Ltd., of Westminster and Chippenham, Wilts ; a Freemason, and Past Provincial Grand Registrar of West Yorkshire. Married, in 1894, Ethel, daughter of his senior partner, Mr. T. H. Ramsden, of Oakwell, Golcar. Clubs : Whitehall and Huddersfield.
James Sykes, Dungarth, Honley, Yorks ; son of Edwin Sykes, late of Honley ; born at Birstall, Yorks, on November 11th, 1865 ; educated privately and at Owen's College, Manchester, Yorkshire College, Leeds (Victoria University). Commissioner ; member of the Incorporated Law Society ; articled with the firm of Ramsden, Sykes and Ramsden, of Huddersfield ; passed Solicitors' Final Examination with honours in January, 1889, and obtained the "Alfred Sykes" gold medal ; senior partner in the firm of Armitage, Sykes and Hinchcliffe, of Huddersfield and Honley ; Solicitor and Law Clerk to the Honley Urban District Council, and other public bodies ; formerly member of the Honley Urban District Council ; formerly Secretary of Huddersfield Incorporated Law Society ; obtained the degree of LL.B. in 1902 ; member of the Huddersfield Golf Club, and Huddersfield Liberal Club. Married, in 1892, Emma Amelia, daughter of the late John Turner, of Batley.
John Sykes, Ingledene, Park Drive, Huddersfield ; eldest son of the late James Sykes, of Westwood House, Golcar, Huddersfield ; born at Golcar in 1859 ; educated privately. Articled in December, 1878, to Mr. Thomas Henry Ramsden, of the firm of Ramsden, Sykes and Ramsden, solicitors, Huddersfield ; admitted solicitor in 1884 ; joined the firm as partner some years later, retired from the firm in February, 1902 ; now practising on his own account at the Rolls Office, Market Place, Huddersfield ; solicitor for Sir Joseph Percival Pickford Radcliffc, Bart ; Deputy Steward of the Manor of Marsden ; Commissioner for Oaths ; member of the Huddersfield Incorporated Law Society ; member of the Huddersfield Naturalist and Photographic Society ; formerly Churchwarden of St. John's Church, Golcar, and for many years a Manager and Trustee of the Golcar National Schools. Mr. Sykes' chief hobby is photography, and he has a large and varied collection of photographic and lantern slides of the various places he has visited in France, Belgium, Switzerland, Italy and other places. Married, in 1885, Sarah Jane, daughter of the late Joseph Hall, of Ashton-under-Lyne. Club : County and Conservative, Huddersfield.
John Henry Sykes, Fenay Lodge, Almondbury, near Huddersfield ; son of John Sykes, York House, Huddersfield ; born at Riley Kirkburton, in 1850 ; educated privately. - Articled to his father in 1866, and admitted Solicitor in 1872 ; joined his father as a partner in the firm of John Sykes and Son, solicitors, Huddersfield, the same year, which partnership continued until the death of Mr. John Sykes, August toth, 1897, when Mr. J. H. Sykes became sole partner ; succeeded his father as Clerk to the West Riding Justices, Upper Agbrigg Division, sitting at Huddersfield ; takes a great interest in agriculture and the breeding of pedigree stock ; has acted as a judge of stock at most of the shows in the neighbourhood in which he resides. Married, October 27th, 1880, Emily, eldest daughter of the late John Walter Kenyon, of Shepley, and has issue one daughter.
John Lewis Sykes, Holmefield, Fartown, Huddersfield ; son of the late James Sykes ; born at Huddersfield ; educated at private schools. Articled with Mr. Robert Welsh, of Huddersfield, the former Official Receiver in Bankruptcy ; passed final examination, obtaining an honour certificate, in June, 1888 ; admitted solicitor, November, 1888 ; commenced practice on own account the same year, and was subsequently joined by Mr. Joseph Crosland Ainley, which partnership was dissolved in 1901 ; is now practising on his own account at Huddersfield and Brighouse ; appointed Clerk to the Borough Justices of Brighouse, 1902 ; Commissioner for Oaths ; represented the Fartown Ward in the Huddersfield County Borough Council, 1894-97 ; Freemason ; P.M. of the Lodge of Truth, No. 521 ; P.M. of the Mark Lodge, No. 137, Provincial Grand Registrar (M.M.M.) of West Yorkshire, also member of the Arch Chapter, No. 521, and Knight Templars' Preceptory, No. 4. Married Florence, daughter of the late Thomas Etchells, of The Oakes, Huddersfield,
John Herbert Turner, Carr Mount, Holmfirth ; son of Thomas Turner, J.P., of Somerfield, Thongsbridge, near Huddersfield ; born January 5th, 1865 ; educated at Sedbergh Grammar School. Articled with Messrs. Brook, Freeman and Batley, of Huddersfield ; admitted solicitor in 1887 ; has since practised in Holmfirth and Huddersfield on his own account ; Clerk to the West Riding Justices at Holmfirth ; Joint Prosecuting Solicitor for the county borough of Huddersfield, and local Solicitor for the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children ; Commissioner for Oaths ; has been for ten years a member of the Huddersfield Board of Guardians ; a Freemason, and member of the Lodge of Harmony, No. 275, Huddersfield. Married, September 7th, 1892, Ethel, third daughter of the late Edward John Wood-Waterhouse, J.P., of Holly Bank, Lindley, Huddersfield.
Robert Welsh, Picton House, Wakefield Road, Huddersfield ; son of the late Robert Welsh ; born at Huddersfield in 1851 ; educated at Huddersfield Collegiate School and College. Was for many years Secretary to the Huddersfield Conservative Association, and Election Agent in contests 1880, 1885-86, 1892 ; member of the Town Council, 1884 to 1891 ; now Solicitor to Huddersfield Licensed Victuallers' Association ; Hon. Secretary to Committee for Victoria Jubilee Tower, Castle Hill ; now Clerk to the Trustees ; Hon. Secretary to Huddersfield St. Andrew's Society ; Hon. Secretary to Huddersfield and District Army Veterans' Association ; formerly played both football and cricket ; played football for Yorkshire County, 1874-75-76 ; won the bronze medal for "putting the shot" at the H. C. and A. C. Festival, in 1875 ; joined the Rifle Volunteers in 1875, and after passing through every rank retired as Hon. Major in 1895 with long service medal and right to retain rank and wear uniform ; Vice-President of the Yorkshire Amateur Bowling Association. Married Eliza, only daughter of the late Henry Maitland Holroyd, surgeon, of Huddersfield.
William Henry Cook, F.R.G.S., Southleigh, Park Drive, Huddersfield ; son of the late Joseph Cook, formerly of Stourbridge, Worcestershire ; born at Liverpool in 1847 ; educated at local schools, and by private tuition. Early in life evinced great interest in travel and history, and in 1867-68-69, made his first journeys to France, Belgium and Holland, visiting Germany and Austria in 1873 ; in 1876 he journeyed to the east of Canada and the United States, visiting Philadelphia, New York, Baltimore, Washington, Niagara Falls, Montreal, Quebec, etc. ; in 1896 he visited Rome, Venice, and other Italian cities ; in 1898, made a voyage to the North Pacific, visiting the Canary Isles, Sandy Point in the Straits of Magellan, South America, Conception and Coronel, and the coal mines at Calico, Chili ; he reached San Francisco during the Cuban War excitement, afterwards visiting many towns in British Columbia ; he sailed from Vancouver to Bella-Bella and Yakatat near the famous St. Elias range of mountains ; after anchoring twice in the Kadiak Islands, he reached Dutch Harbour and Unalaska in the Alaska Peninsula ; entering the Behring Sea, proceeded to St. Michael's in Norton Sound. During his stay here, studied the international question of seal fishing in the Behring Sea, also the preparation of seal-skins for export and their subsequent treatment. He then took passage in a U.S.A. steamer for Seattle, U.S.A., returning to Vancouver, and in a few weeks sailed for Japan, where, accompanied by a Japanese friend, he visited the Kama Kura temples, Tokio, and the crysanthemum wonders of Dango Zaka ; while in Japan, studied the social life of the Japanese, also the political situation of the Far East. Leaving Yokohama for Nagasaki, he proceeded to Singapore and Penang, and thence to Hong-Kong, from where he sailed for Colombo. On leaving Ceylon, he returned to England by way of Aden, Suez and Gibraltar ; several British ships in which he sailed were manned entirely by Chinese, Malay and Lascar crews, which caused him to study the condition of the British Mercantile Marine. Mr. Cook is a Past Master of Freemasons ; a member of the Society of Arts ; a member of the Japan Society, London, and a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society ; Churchman and Conservative ; Governing Director of two industrial companies. He married, in 1878, Mary Maria, daughter of the late James Booth, of Netherton, Huddersfield.
George Taylor Porritt, Crosland Hall, near Huddersfield ; son of the late Richard Porritt ; born at Huddersfield in 1848 ; educated at Huddersfield College ; F.L.S. ; F.E.S., etc. Known for many years as one of the leaders of natural history science in Yorkshire ; was one of the founders of the Yorkshire Naturalists' Union more than twenty-five years ago, an association now numbering over 2500 members and associates, and of which he was President in 1900 ; was elected a Fellow of the Entomological Society of London in 1870, and a Fellow of the Linnzan Society of London in 1872 ; has served on the Council of the former, and has also been for some years, and is at the present time, a member of the Council of the Ray Society of London ; is the author and editor of several works on natural history, the most important of which is, perhaps, "Buckler's Larva of the British Lepidoptera," published by the Ray Society, the ninth volume of which was issued last year (1901) ; is a Governor of the Technical College, Huddersfield ; has been a Churchwarden several years ; in politics is a Conservative. Married Annie Elizabeth, elder daughter of the late Thomas Walker, of Whitley.
Joseph Woodhead, J.P., Longdenholme, Huddersfield ; son of the late Godfrey Woodhead, of Holmfirth ; born at Holmfirth, May 8th, 1824 ; educated privately. Newspaper proprietor and editor ; founded, September, 1851, in conjunction with other gentlemen, the Huddersfield Examiner ; afterwards founded the Dewsbury Reporter in 1858 ; a Governor of the Huddersfield Infirmary ; President of the Huddersfield Liberal Association for many years, and of the Huddersfield Temperance Association ; represented the Spen Valley Division in Parliament, 1885-92, then retiring through illness ; returned to the Huddersfield Council in 1868, made Alderman in 1871, Mayor, 1876-77, retiring from the Aldermanship in 1887 in consequence of Parliamentary duties ; made Justice of the Peace for the borough in 1880 ; presented with the freedom of the borough in 1898 ; presented with a full size portrait of himself, painted by Locock, from the Huddersfield Liberal Association, June 18th, 1886 ; in 1901, received a beautifully illuminated address enclosed in a case from the staff and employés of the Huddersfield Examiner. Married, in 1853, the daughter of J. B. Woodhead, of the Ridings, Holmfirth.
Ernest Woodhead, M.A., Clovelly, Huddersfield ; son of Joseph Woodhead, J.P., formerly M.P. for the Spen Valley Division, West Riding of Yorkshire ; born at Woodland Mount, Huddersfield ; educated at Huddersfield College, and Edinburgh University ; M.A., 1878 ; Prizeman in English Literature, Greek History, Political Economy, Natural Philosophy. Editor of the Huddersfield Examiner ; joined the staff of the Examiner in 1878 ; has taught classes at the Mechanics' Institute and at the Examiner office ; done much entertaining for charities, and by this means raised large sums of money ; played Rugby football, School, University, Yorkshire County, and International (v. Ireland), 1881 ; won three Scottish Inter-Varsity quarter-mile races ; still plays golf and cricket ; has been nearly eight years on the County Borough Council of Huddersfield ; one year Vice-Chairman, and two years Chairman of the Finance Committee ; six years a member of the School Board ; Mayor of Huddersfield, 1901-02 ; Vice-President of Huddersfield Art Society since its formation, and occasional exhibitor ; Governor of the Technical College. Married, in 1892, Lilian, daughter of Joah Moorhouse, of Huddersfield. Member of the Eighty and Ninety-Nine Clubs, and Huddersfield Liberal Club.
Charles Ingram Armitage, High Royd, Honley, near Huddersfield ; son of the late Joseph Taylor Armitage, D.L., J.P. ; born at Birkby Grange, Huddersfield ; a descendant of one of the oldest families in the West Riding ; educated privately and at Brussels. Senior partner of the firm of Armitage Brothers, of Milnsbridge, woollen manufacturers and merchants, founded in 1820 ; formerly played cricket for Yorks county ; took great interest for many years in the Huddersfield Cricket and Athletic Club from foundation, the members of which presented him with a handsome silver cup on his marriage in 1877 ; Justice of the Peace for the West Riding of Yorks ; on His Majesty's Income Tax Commission ; Managing Trustee of Fartown Grammar School ; Co-Trustee of Nettlenon's Charity, Holroyd's Charity and Almshouses, Godfrey Beaumont's Charity, and Meltham Parsons Trust. Married Jane Elizabeth, second daughter of the late Captain Coates of the 95th Regiment ; eldest son, Harry Ingram Armitage, is associated with his father in business ; second son, Lieutenant Charles Clement, is serving with the Royal Field Artillery in South Africa. Clubs : Isthmian, Piccadilly, London, and The Club, Huddersfield.
John Cooper Broadbent, J.P., Lascelles Hall, near Huddersfield ; son of the late John Broadbent, J.P. ; born at South Collingham, Notts ; educated at Magnus School, Newark, Notts. Shipping merchant ; Principal of the firm of Thomas Cresswell and Company, of Huddersfield and Bradford, with branches at London, Toronto, Melbourne, Cape Town, etc. ; Chairman of the Express Rotary Company, Dalston, London, and of J. C. Broadbent and Company, silicate cotton makers, of Redcar and London ; Justice of the Peace for the County Borough of Huddersfield ; President of the Huddersfield Liberal Unionist Association ; Vice-President of the Yorkshire Liberal Unionist Association ; one of the Trustees of the Huddersfield and Upper Agbrigg Savings Bank ; member of the Huddersfield Infirmary Board ; President of the Yorkshire Foresters' Orphanage ; has hunted with several packs ; fond of shooting and golf, and takes great interest in cricket ; President of the Huddersfield Cricket League, 1901-02 ; has travelled extensively in U.S.A., Canada, and the Continent. Married Fannie, daughter of the late Thomas Cresswell, of the firm of Thomas Cresswell and Company, of Huddersfield. Member of The Club, Huddersfield.
Joseph Brooke, North Bank, Huddersfield ; son of the late John Brooke, of Chapelford ; born at Batley ; educated at Batley Grammar School. Principal of the firm of Joseph Brooke and Company, shipping merchants, Huddersfield and Bradford, with branches in New York and Montreal ; member of Huddersfield Town Council for over twenty years ; an Alderman ; Mayor of Huddersfield in 1889 and 1900 ; Justice of the Peace for the County Borough of Huddersfield ; Vice-President of the Huddersfield Tradesmen's Benevolent Fund ; an active worker in the Baptist denomination ; past President of the Free Church Unions for Yorks, and of the Yorkshire Baptist Association ; Vice-President of the Huddersfield Chamber of Commerce ; President elect, 1902. Married Joanna, daughter of the late Christopher Oddy, blanket manufacturer, of Kilpin Hill Heckmondwyke, Yorks.
Thomas Pearson Crosland, J.P., Birkby Grange, near Huddersfield ; son of the late Colonel Crosland, M.P., D.L., of Gledholt, Huddersfield ; born February 16th, 1856 ; educated privately. Partner in the firm of George Crosland and Sons, woollen manufacturers, and Director of Read, Holliday and Sons, Huddersfield ; Justice of the Peace for the County Borough of Huddersfield ; Treasurer of Huddersfield Conservative Association ; late Lieutenant of the 2nd West Yorkshire Yeomanry Cavalry ; member of the Council of the Huddersfield Chamber of Commerce. Married the second daughter of the late John Sykes, J P., of Cross Howell, Denbighshire.
Joseph Crowther, J.P., Woodley, Huddersfield, and Hay Green, Marsden ; son of the late John Crowther, of Golear ; born, July 8th, 1842, at Golear, Yorkshire ; educated at Huddersfield College. Woollen manufacturer ; member of the firm of John Crowther and Sons, Milnsbridge, and D. Stoner Crowther and Company, Milnsbridge ; Chairman of the Globe Worsted Company, Slaithwaite ; the Gas Company, Slaithwaite ; Smedley's Hydropathic Company, Ltd., Matlock ; and of Crowther, Bruce and Company, Marsden ; Director of Halifax Joint Stock Bank, Ltd., Halifax ; Slaithwaite Spinning Company ; I. T. Clay and Sons, Ltd., Rastrick ; Ainley, Sons and Company, Kirkheaton ; Yorkshire Guarantee Company, Ltd., and the Yorkshire Electric Power Company, Ltd. ; has travelled throughout the Continent, Egypt, Africa, and United States and Canada to the Pacific slope ; for thirty-three years member of the Local Boards and Urban District Councils of Golcar and Marsden ; County Councillor for three years of the West Riding of Yorkshire ; Justice of the Peace for the County ; President of the Huddersfield Chamber of Commerce, and the Huddersfield Liberal Club ; a Freemason ; was instrumental in the founding of the Colne Valley Lodge, No. 1645. Married Helen Anna, eldest daughter of the late Thomas Stoner, and has issue three daughters and five sons.
William Crowther, J.P., Field House, Slaithwaite ; second son of the late John Crowther, of Golear ; born at Golcear, April 30th, 1845 ; educated at Huddersfield College and Providence House, Mirfield. Chairman of the directors of the firm of W. and E. Crowther, Ltd., of Slaithwaite and Huddersfield ; Chairman of the Slaithwaite Spinning Company ; Director of Slaithwaite Gas Company, the Globe Worsted Company, and of Smedley's Hydropathic Company, Matlock ; Chairman of the Golcar Local Board and Urban District Council for the past eighteen years, and Chairman of Golcar School Board from its formation ; has travelled the north of Africa, and the Continent ; Vice-President of Liberal Association for the Colne Valley Division ; was President of the Slaithwaite Liberal Association for many years ; Past Master of the Colne Valley Masonic Lodge, No. 1645, and Past Provincial Grand Deacon of the Provincial Grand Lodge of the West Riding ; Justice of the Peace for the West Riding of Yorks. Married, in 1869, Eliza, third daughter of the late Mr. Law Heppenstall, of Golcar.
Charles Brooke Crawshaw, J.P., Rufford Lodge, Oxford Road, Dewsbury : ; son of the late Alderman John Crawshaw, J.P. ; born at Huddersfield, May 9th, 1855 ; educated at Huddersfield College, and a private school near London. Chairman and Managing Director of Crawshaw and Warburton, Ltd., colliery proprietors, Dewsbury, and Director of several other companies ; made Justice of the Peace for the borough of Dewsbury about twelve years ago ; one of the first Governors of the Dewsbury and District Technical School, retired 1901 ; a late Governor of the Wheelwrights' Grammar School ; for many years a member of the Council of Dewsbury Chamber of Commerce, and at one time its President ; now, and for the past ten years, a member of the West Riding County Council ; member of the West Riding Rivers' Board ; has been for over fifteen years a member of the old Soothill-Upper Local Board, and present Urban District Council ; is now Chairman for the third successive year, and was several times Chairman of the old Local Board ; member of the Dewsbury and District Infectious Hospital Board. Married, in 1881, Jeannette, elder daughter of the late Charles Charlesworth, of Heaton, near Bradford.
Frederick Eastwood, J.P., Buckden Mount, Huddersfield ; son of the late Edmund Eastwood ; born at Huddersfield, August 26th, 1842: educated privately, and at Huddersfield College. Worsted and woollen manufacturer ; Chairman of the Executive of the Huddersfield Liberal Association ; Hon. Secretary to Huddersfield Infirmary for the last twenty-six years ; Chairman of the Directors of the Halifax and Huddersfield Union Banking Company ; past President of Huddersfield Chamber of Commerce, and Trustee of the Huddersfield Savings Bank ; one of the Governors of the Technical College, Huddersfield, etc. ; Justice of the Peace for the county borough of Huddersfield ; Master for many seasons of the Holme Valley Harriers. Married Mary Elizabeth, only daughter of the late Joshua Nicholson, of Stockwell House, Leek, Staffordshire. Clubs : Reform, Pall Mall, and National Liberal Clubs, London, and The Club, Huddersfield.
Norris Rhodes Hepworth, Torridon, Headingley ; son of Joseph Hepworth, J.P. ; born at Lindley, near Huddersfield, 1857 ; educated at the Leeds Mechanics' Institute. Wholesale clothing manufacturer ; Chairman and Managing Director of Hepworth and Son, Ltd., Providence Works, Leeds, and Hepworths Ltd., South Africa ; President of Central Leeds Parliamentary Division (Liberal) ; ex-member of the City Council ; member of the M.C.C. ; Captain of the Leeds C.C. ; founded the old Caledonian C.C. ; Fellow of the Society of Arts ; member of the Selection Committee of Leeds Infirmary ; has travelled all over the world, and has a fine collection of Japanese curios, collected during his travels.
Joseph Hill, J.P., Park Drive, Heaton, Bradford ; son of the late Joseph Hill, of Bradford ; born at Huddersfield ; educated at Bradford. Justice of the Peace for the city of Bradford for twenty-one years ; late Chairman of the Shipley Gas Company, now transferred to the Shipley Urban Council ; Chairman of the Bradford Cemetery Company ; Director of St. George's Hall Company ; President and Trustee of the East Money and Bradford Savings Bank ; a Vice-President of Bradford Royal Infirmary ; late Governor: of Bradford Girls' Grammar School. Married Susan, daughter of the William Midgley, of Stunstead House, Trawden, Lancashire, and has issue six sons.
John Hinchcliffe, J.P., Wellcliffe, near Penistone ; son of John Hinchliffe, J.P., of Bullhouse Hall ; born at Mirefield House, Penistone ; educated at Huddersfield College. Member of the Surveyors' Institution ; partner in J. Hinchliffe and Company, Colliery and Ganister Works, Penistone, established over seventy years ago by his grandfathers ; Justice of the Peace for the West Riding ; member of the Thurlstone Urban District Council. Married Ada, daughter of William Smith, of Bullace Grange, Penistone.
Reuben Hirst, Rockfield, Lockwood, Huddersfield ; born at Newsome, Huddersfield, in 1829. Commenced life as a factory worker, remaining as an employé for some years ; a boiler explosion, killing fourteen hands, in which Mr. Hirst had a providential escape, threw him out of employment, and he and his brother commenced business on their own account in 1859 ; the partnership was dissolved in 1886, when he took into partnership three of his sons, trading as Reuben Hirst and Sons, cotton spinners, at Firth Street Mills ; was a member of the Lockwood Local Board till its incorporation with Huddersfield ; elected a member of Huddersfield Town Council in 1868 ; Alderman in 1874 ; Mayor two consecutive years, 1891-93 ; on his accession to the mayoralty, he was the recipient of a framed illuminated testimonial from his employes at the Firth Street Mills, and on his completion of thirty years' service as Councillor, Alderman, and Mayor, was presented with a handsome silver fruit and flower stand, and cigar case, as a token of respect from the joint political parties of the ratepayers of Lockwood ; is a Justice of the Peace for the County Borough of Huddersfield. Married Elizabeth, daughter of the late James Crabtree, of Lockwood ; besides the three sons who are in partnership with him, Mr. Hirst has two other sons conducting a large business as wholesale clothiers in Brisbane, Queensland.
Thomas Julius Hirst, J.P., Meltham Hall, Yorks ; eldest son of the late Thomas Hirst, of Hamburg ; born in 1851 ; educated in Germany. A Director of the firm of Messrs. Jonas Brook and Bros., Ltd., sewing cotton manufacturers, of Meltham Mills, Huddersfield, and also of Messrs. J. and P. Coats, Ltd., of Paisley, Scotland ; Justice of the Peace for the West Riding of Yorks. Married, in 1881, Esther Frost, second daughter of the late Charles John Brook, of Healey House, near Huddersfield. Club : Junior Carlton.
Charles William Keighley, J.P., Newhowse, Sheepridge, Huddersfield, and 3, Buckingham Gate, London, S.W. ; son of the late William Keighley, J.P. ; born at Halifax, Yorks, October 21st, 1848 ; educated at Storthes Hall, Kirkburton, Yorks, and The High School, Edinburgh. Chairman of the Directors of Lockwood and Keighley, Ltd., manufacturers of Woollen Cords, Bedford Cords, Cotton Cords, Whip Cords, Tweeds, Serges, etc., of Upperhead Mills, Huddersfield ; established in 1798 ; Chairman of the Directors of the Cotton Cord and Velvet Cutting Machine Company, Ltd., Huddersfield ; Deputy Chairman of the West Riding Union Banking Company, Ltd. ; Justice of the Peace for the West Riding of Yorks ; a Trustee of the Huddersfield and Upper Agbrigg Savings Bank ; Churchwarden of Christ Church, Woodhouse ; Income Tax Commissioner ; P.P.G.W. of the Province of West Yorks Freemasons ; formerly a member of the Huddersfield School Board, and the Huddersfield Town Council ; was the first President of the Huddersheld and County Conservative Club, and for several years President of the Huddersfield Conservative Association. Married, in 1874, Helen, fourth daughter of the late Rev. George Curnock, of St. Altans, Hertfordshire. Clubs : Junior Carlton, London, and the Huddersfield Club.
James Kilburn, J.P., Croft House, Meltham, near Huddersfield ; son of the late John Kilburn ; born at Meltham ; educated at Meltham and Ashton-under-Lyne, Lancashire. Mechanical engineer, ironfounder and valuer ; succeeded to the business founded by his grandfather, and is now trading as James Kilburn ; one of the first members, and for some time Chairman, of the Meltham Local Board, and remained a member for about twenty years ; member of the Huddersfield Board of Guardians for the last thirty-four years, and for some time its Chairman ; a County Councillor for the Honley Division of the West Riding from its formation, and Alderman for the last nine years ; Justice of the Peace for the West Riding of Yorkshire. Married, Ann Eastwood, third daughter of the late John Farrar, of Slaithwaite.
Dixon Powner, 34, Cobden Place, Claypit Lane, Leeds ; son of the late Thomas Powner ; born at Huddersfield, April 12th, 1853 ; educated at Fartown Grammar School, Huddersfield. Art metal worker, engineer and general smith ; served his time with Schofield and Kirk, machine makers, Folly Hall, Huddersfield, and after working several years with various firms in different parts of the country started business on his own account in Leeds, 1894 ; as an art metal worker gained the open competition for the Roundhay Park entrance gates, 1899, and the East End Park gates, Igor ; carries out a large amount of work for the Corporation of Leeds, and is the general smith and mechanic engaged in producing the annual pantomimes at the Grand and Royal Theatres, Leeds. Married, in 1879, Emma, daughter of the late Joseph Hopton, of Leeds.
William Venables Rhodes, Tofts House, Cleckheaton ; born at Liversedge, January 24th, 1849 ; educated at Grange Academy, Leominster, and Wellhouse Moravian College, Mirfield. For thirty-nine years connected with the Huddersfield Banking Company, Ltd., at Cleckheaton, before and since its amalgamation with the London, City and Midland Bank, Ltd. ; member of the Bradford Historical and Antiquarian Society, the Bronté Society, and member of several of the Cleckheaton and district literary and social clubs.
John Bower Robinson, J.P., The Inner Hey, Marsden, Huddersfield ; son of the late James Robinson, dyer, of Marsden ; born at the Inner Hey Cottage, Marsden, July 23rd, 1826 ; educated at the Town School, Marsden, and at Nesbit's Academy, London. Founder and senior partner of the firm of Robinson Brothers, woollen manufacturers, of Clough Lee Mills, Marsden and Huddersfield ; commenced business about sixty years ago, and founded the present business about 1846, commencing to build the first portion of the present mills at the immediate head of the Colne Valley watershed, about 1850, making extensions from time to time, and afterwards taking into partnership his only son, Mr. Arthur Robinson ; has been an active promoter of educational and philanthropic institutions in Marsden and district ; was the first Secretary, then Chairman, and since 1841, President of the Marsden Mechanics' Institute ; Chairman of the Managers of the Marsden Town School ; formerly Chairman of the District Council ; a County Councillor for the West Riding of Yorks from its formation ; afterwards Alderman, resigning in 1900 owing to failing health ; a Justice of the Peace for the West Riding of Yorks ; an active worker in the political life of the district ; Chairman of the Colne Valley Liberal Association for many years, and Chairman of Sir James Kitson's Election Cemmittee. Married Mary Anne, eldest daughter of the late John Dowse, of Marsden.
Frederick William Robinson, J.P., Woodleigh, Edgerton, Huddersfield ; son of the late John Robinson, of Honley ; born, June 2nd, 1840, at Honley ; educated at the Huddersfield College, and Woodford Private School, Essex. Woollen dyer ; principal of the firm of John Robinson and Sons, Field Dye Works, Huddersfield ; Justice of the Peace for the borough of Huddersfield. Married, October 10th, 1867, the second daughter of Richard Taylor, of Bristol.
Ernest Shaw, Brantfield, Wheat House Road, Huddersfield ; son of the late Councillor Benjamin Shaw ; born at Clayton West, July 28th, 1857 ; educated at Mellor's Academy ; obtained certificate in advanced chemistry at the technical college. - Senior partner in the firm of Benjamin Shaw and Sons, Willow Lane, Huddersfield, mineral water manufacturers ; has travelled extensively in Australia and New Zealand ; member of the Huddersfield Town Council, to which he was elected, November, 1901, as a representative for the South Ward. Married, in 1879, the daughter of Richard Crossley, of Huddersfield.
Frederick Henry Shaw, J.P., Inglewood, Huddersfield ; son of the late Henry Shaw ; born at Huddersfield, August 5th, 1842 ; educated at Huddersfield College. Senior partner in the firm of Jno., Wm. and H. Shaw, woollen merchants, St. George's Square, Huddersfield ; Justice of the Peace for the county borough of Huddersfield ; President of the Huddersfield Branch of the Royal National Life Boat Institution ; member of the Committee of the Victoria Sick Nursing Association, Huddersfield Branch ; formerly a member of the Huddersfield Infirmary Board ; one of the Committee of Management of the Huddersfield and Upper Agbrigg Savings Bank ; a patron of athletic sports in the district ; has travelled the Continent ; a past member of the Huddersfield Chamber of Commerce, and Vice-President of the Huddersfield Liberal Unionist Association. Married Sophie, elder daughter of the late William Hodge, of Tynemouth, Northumberland. Member of The Club, Huddersfield.
Robert Mac Shaw, Lamb Hall, Longwood, Huddersfield ; son of the late John Shaw, of Longwood, woollen manufacturer, and grandson of the Rev. Joseph Shaw, a well known Baptist minister ; born at Longwood, in 1838 ; educated at Lockwood. Woollen merchant ; member of the firm of Fisher and Company, of Huddersfield, London, Paris, New York, U.S.A., Toronto and Montreal, Canada, with other offices, Colonial and Continental ; at twenty years of age was Vice-President of the Sunday school at Salendine Nook, under the pastorate of the late Dr. Stock ; for many years a Lay Preacher ; Deacon at Salendine Nook from the age of twenty-eight till the present time ; signing the pledge at thirteen, he has been a worker in the Temperance cause ever since, and for a time was President of the Huddersfield Band of Hope Union ; member of the Longwood Local Board till its absorption in the Huddersfield County Borough Council ; one of the first Councillors for Longwood ; Alderman, 1895 ; Mayor, 1900-01 ; Guardian of the Poor. Married the daughter of the late George Taylor, woollen manufacturer, of Huddersfield.
William Dale Shaw, J.P., Holmefield, Longwood, Huddersfield ; son of the late William Shaw, J.P., of Dale House, Longwood ; born at Longwood, in 1850 ; educated at Turton Hall, Gildersome, and Huddersfield College. Partner in the firms of Shaw and Shaw, of Britannia Mills, Milnsbridge, and Fisher and Company, Huddersfield ; a Director of the Halifax and Huddersfield Union Bank, and Northern Counties Investment Trust ; Chairman of the Colne Vale Gas Company ; Past President and member of the Council of the Huddersfield Chamber of Commerce ; Liberal in politics ; Trustee of the Psalms and Hymns Trust in connection with the Baptist churches in the district ; has travelled in Spain, Italy, North Africa, Egypt, America and Canada ; Justice of the Peace for the West Riding and the county borough of Huddersfield. Married Sarah, fourth daughter of the late David Haigh, of Quarmby. Clubs : National Liberal, and The Club, Huddersfield.
John Sugden, J.P., Laurel Bank, Huddersfield ; son of the late John Sugden, of Slaithwaite ; born at Lingards, Slaithwaite, in 1838 ; educated at night schools, the Mechanics' Institute and Technical Classes, etc. In business as a drysalter ; has taken an active interest in mechanics' institutions and technical education, and associated himself with others in promoting commercial enterprise in the district ; Chairman of the Bentley Silk Mill, Meltham ; Director of the Slaithwaite Spinning Company, the Slaithwaite Gas Company, and of Hutchinson and Hollingworth, loom makers ; formerly Councillor for Lockwood and North Wards ; now Alderman and Justice of the Peace for the borough of Huddersfield ; unsuccessfully contested the Colne Valley Division of the West Riding at the Parliamentary Election, 1892, against Sir James Kitson. Married first, Hannah, daughter of the late Samuel Meal, by whom he has issue two daughters ; secondly, Ann, daughter of the late Joseph Pickles, of Slaithwaite, and has issue four sons.
James Walker Sykes, J.P., Holywell House, Halifax ; son of the late Edward Sykes, of Gosport House, near Huddersfield ; born January 21st, 1843 ; educated at Making Place Hall, Ripponden, near Halifax. Partner in the firm of Edward Sykes and Sons, Gosport Mills, Huddersfield, manufacturers and spinners ; Justice of the Peace for the West Riding of Yorkshire ; late Captain 6th West York Rifles.
Joe Benjamin Wilkinson, Holme Lane, Dudley Hill, Bradford ; born at Lepton, near Huddersfield, March 30th, 1844 ; educated at Huddersfield Mechanics' School. Manufacturing chemist ; member of the School Board at Tong before its incorporation with Bradford, and Chairman for three years ; member of the Society of Chemical Industry ; Vice-President of the Society of Dyers and Colourists.
James Edward Willans, J.P., Rose Hill, Huddersfield ; son of the late William Willans, J.P., who contested the borough of Huddersfield at the Parliamentary election, 1852, in the Liberal interest, against W. R. C. Stansfeld, whose election was declared void, when Viscount Godrich, now the Marquis of Ripon, was returned ; born at Huddersfield in 1842 ; educated at Huddersfield College ; Gothic Hall, Enfield ; Dusseldorf, Germany ; and the University, Geneva. Principal of the firm of William Willans and Company, wool merchants, of Huddersfield, and Chairman of the Directors of the Queen Spinning Company, Ltd., Huddersfield ; Trustee of the Huddersfield and Upper Agbrigg Savings Bank ; member of the Huddersfield Chamber of Commerce ; one of the Governors of the Technical College, Huddersfield ; member of the Huddersfield School Board for fifteen years, 1880-95, and Chairman of its Finance Committee, 1883-94 ; Chairman of the Board, 1894-95 ; Chairman of the Municipal Free Library and Art Gallery from its formation in 1898 to November, 1901, when he was elected an Alderman of the county borough of Huddersfield, and Chairman of its Finance Committee ; local Director of the London and Lancashire Fire Insurance Company ; a Justice of the Peace for the county borough of Huddersfield since 1881, and for the West Riding of Yorkshire from 1894. Married firstly, Cecilia Emma, the second daughter, and secondly Kathleen, the fifth daughter of W. H. Cozens-Hardy, J.P., of Letheringsett Hall, Norfolk. Clubs : Reform, City Liberal and National Liberal, London.
William Wilson, J.P., Knowle Brow, Mirfield ; son of the late Richard Wilson, of Manchester ; born at Manchester, December 16th, 1848 ; educated at private school. Card clothing manufacturer ; Director of English Card Clothing Company, Ltd. ; Justice of the Peace for the West Riding ; Governor of Mirfield Grammar School ; for twelve years a member of the District Council ; County Councillor for Mirfield, elected November, 1901 ; member of the Highways and General Purposes Committees of the Council ; Chairman of the Mirfield Chamber of Commerce for 1901-02 ; President of the Mirfield Cricket Club ; Vice-President of Masonic Charities, viz. : Boys' School, Girls' School, and Annuitant Fund ; P.M. of the Mirfield Lodge (No. 1102) ; Director of the Dewsbury Reporter. Married, firstly, Annie, daughter of William Wardley, of Eccles ; secondly, Mary Alice, daughter of Thomas Simpson, of Halifax ; only son, Captain Harold Wilson, of the West Riding Regiment (Volunteers), recently returned from South Africa after fifteen months' service, and was last year presented with the freedom of the borough of Huddersfield in recognition of his services at the front.
William Wrigley, J.P., Bent House, Meltham, Huddersfield ; son of the late William Wrigley, J.P., of Huddersfield ; born at Spring Dale, Huddersfield, August 11th, 1843. Member of the firm of John Wrigley and Son, woollen manufacturers, Netherton and Huddersfield ; Justice of the Peace for the West Riding of Yorks, 1883 ; Chairman of Huddersfield and Upper Agbrigg Savings Bank ; formerly a Director of the Huddersfield Banking Company — now amalgamated with the London City and Midland Bank — a position held by both his father and his grandfather before him. Married, September 15th, 1869, Mary Ellen, second daughter of the late James Garnett, of Bradford ; eldest son, Captain W. G. Wrigley, attached to 2nd Volunteer Battalion Duke of Wellington's Own, West Riding Regiment.
Joseph Berry, Holly Mount, Lockwood, Huddersfield ; son of William Berry ; born at Lockwood in 1860 ; educated at Huddersfield. Architect, surveyor and valuer ; formerly with the late John Henry Abbey, Borough Surveyor of Huddersfield ; commenced business on his own account in Queen Street, Huddersfield, in 1885, removing to present address, No. 3, Market Place, Huddersfield, in 1901 ; member of the Leeds and Yorkshire Architectural Society ; Architect for the Colne and Holme Joint Hospital Committee, and the Kirkburton Joint Hospital Committee ; Building Surveyor for the Honley Urban District Council ; Architect to the Huddersfield Industrial Society, Ltd. ; Valuer for the Huddersfield and District Model Building Society ; Town Councillor for the East Ward of Huddersfield since 1899 ; Vice-President of the Lockwood Mechanics' Institute ; Manager of the Lockwood National School ; Churchwarden of Emmanuel Church, Lockwood ; member of the Committee of the Huddersfield and Upper Agbrigg Savings Bank ; a Freemason ; member and Junior Warden of the Colne Valley Lodge, No. 1645 ; member of the Huddersfield Cricket and Athletic Club ; and formerly a member of the Yorkshire Rugby Football Union: Vice-President of the Lockwood Cricket Club. Married Eliza Ann, youngest daughter of the late Joseph Liversidge, of Lockwood.
Charles Butler, Knowle Villa, Mirfield ; son of the late Joseph Dyson Butler, of Almondbury, Huddersfield ; born at Birkenshaw, nar Bradford, October 24th, 1868 ; educated at Turton Hall College, Gildersome, near Leeds, and at Almondbury Grammar School. Fellow of the Surveyors' Institute ; land agent and surveyor ; articled, in 1883, to the firm of Butler and Illingworth, of Huddersfield, a business established by his father, Joseph Dyson Butler, late Valuer to the Huddersfield Poor Law Union, over half a century ago ; on the death of his father in 1896, joined Mr. Illingworth in the same firm as partner, having offices in 14, Queen Street, Huddersfield ; obtained, by examination, Professional Associate's Certificate from Surveyors' Institute, 1897 ; Fellows Certificate, 1909 ; takes an interest in photography, and is a member of the Huddersfield Naturalist and Photographic Society.
James Sheard Kirk, Ing Lees, Marsden, near Huddersfield ; second son of the late John Kirk, architect, of Huddersfield ; born at Huddersfield, August 12th, 1842 ; educated at the Huddersfield College, and finished at Making Place Hall, Ripponden. In practice since 1863 as junior partner in the firm of John Kirk and Sons, architects, surveyors and valuers, of Huddersfield and Dewsbury, who have a large and varied architectural practice, and have also been valuers for the Huddersfield Building Society for the last forty years.
William Henry Armitage, J.P., Edgerton, Huddersfield ; son of Law Armitage ; born at Netherton, near Huddersfield ; educated at the National School and privately. Chartered accountant ; commenced practice in Huddersfield twenty-six years ago ; now senior partner in the firm of Armitage and Norton, Station Street Buildings, Huddersfield ; formerly took great interest in athletics, winning many cups and other prizes in running sprint races, notably at 100 and 220 yards, in Yorkshire and Lancashire ; Justice of the Peace for the county borough of Huddersfield. Married Sarah Ann, third daughter of the late Mark Blakeley, of Netherton ; is now a widower with one daughter and one son. Clubs : Junior Constitutional, and The Club, Huddersfield.
George Pepler Norton, Birkly Lodge, Huddersfield. Chartered accountant ; prizeman at final examination of the Institute of Chartered Accountants, 1883 ; author of several works, of which "Textile Manufacturers' Book-keeping" (Simpkin and Marshall), has now gone through five editions ; member of the firm of Armitage and Norton, of Huddersfield, Dewsbury, Bradford and Halifax ; a Director of the British Columbia Electric Railway Company, Ltd., etc.
Joe Sharp, Bankville, Kirkburton ; son of the late William Sharp ; born at High Burton, Kirkburton ; educated privately. Chartered accountant and estate agent ; formerly Elective Auditor of the Huddersfield Corporation Accounts ; Clerk to the Lepton Local Board and Urban District Council since March 27th, 1876, and to the Kirkburton Urban District Council for the same period ; Clerk to the Whitley Upper Urban District Council, Lepton School Board, and the Kirkburton Joint Isolation Hospital Committee ; has had large experience of local government accounts in various counties in England ; first President of the Kirkburton Football Club, also of the Dogley Lane Congregational Cricket Club ; Senior Deacon of Dogley Lane Congregational Church ; Secretary for Jubilee Demonstration, 1897, at Kirkburton ; and first Secretary of Huddersfield Property Owners' and Ratepayers' Association. - Married Elizabeth, only child of the late Isaac Cowgill, of Spring Grove, Lepton, Huddersfield.
Cornelius Wheawill, Vril-ya, Marsh, Huddersfield ; born at Leeds in 1840 ; educated at a private school. Commenced practice as an accountant in 1876 ; admitted member of Institute of Chartered Accountants in 1880 ; Borough Auditor of Huddersfield since 1891 by appointment of the Borough Council under local Act ; Public Auditor by appointment of the Lords Commissioners of His Majesty's Treasury ; senior partner of the firm of Wheawill, Son and Co., chartered accountants, Imperial Arcade, Huddersfield ; a Freemason and Past Provincial Grand Warden of West Yorks.
Charles Wheawill, 9, York Place, Huddersfield ; son of Cornelius Wheawill ; born at Huddersfield, 1866 ; educated at Huddersfield College. Articled to his father in 1883, joining him as partner in 1888 ; admitted a Member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in 1888 ; Public Auditor by appointment of the Lords Commissioner of H.M. Treasury ; Secretary of several local companies ; a Freemason, and P.M. of Thornhill Lodge, No. 1514.
Frederick William Bentley, J.P., Rein Wood, Huddersfield ; son of the late Charles Bentley, of Fenay Mills, Huddersfield ; born at Huddersfield, May 8th, 1859 ; educated privately. Stock and share broker ; principal of the firm of F. W. Bentley and Company, Estate Buildings, Huddersfield ; Director of Bentley's Yorkshire Breweries, Ltd., and the International Line Steamship Company, Ltd. ; Junior Vice-President of the Chamber of Commerce, Huddersfield ; Chairman of the Central Council of the Huddersfield Conservative Association ; Past Master of the Armitage Lodge, No. 2261, of Freemasons ; Justice of the Peace for the county borough of Huddersfield. Married Elizabeth, younger daughter of the late Samuel Curtis, of Eaton, near Retford, Notts. Clubs : Constitutional, London, and The Club, Huddersfield.
Herbert Albert Haigh, Gledholt Grove, Huddersfield ; son of the late John Haigh, of Spring Wood, Huddersfield ; born at Luck Lane House, Huddersfield, June 4th, 1854 ; educated at Tattersfield's Academy, Huddersfield, and Turton Hall, Gildersome, Yorks. Commenced commercial life in 1869 with the firm of James Armitage and Company, of the Britannia Mills, and Isthmus Mills, Folly Hall, Huddersfield, worsted coating manufacturers ; leaving them, he joined his father as a stock and share broker in 1873, afterwards becoming a partner, succeeding to the business on the death of his father, in 1890 ; practises alone under the style of John Haigh and Son, 1, Byram Buildings, Westgate, Huddersfield ; member of the Huddersfield Chamber of Commerce, and succeeded his father as Hon. Auditor, in 1890. Married Mary, eldest daughter of the late James Armitage, of Gledholt Villa, Huddersfield.
Richard Shepherd Moore, 19, Hill Street, Marsh, Huddersfield ; son of William Moore, of Woodlands, Edgerton, Huddersfield ; born at Huddersfield ; educated at Bramham College, Tadcaster, Yorks. Stock and sharebroker ; commenced business career in his father's office in 1872, and in 1889 established himself at Byram Court, Huddersfield, removing to his present business address, No. 3, Market Street, in 1894 ; has from an early age taken interest in music and athletics ; when fifteen years of age he sang baritone parts at the Triennial Festival at York Minster, and won the first prize in solo singing, given by Archibald Ramsden, of Leeds, at Bramham College, and the gold medal for gymnastics, given by Mr. W. E. Lacon, P.P.E., of Leeds Gymnasium, at Bramham College ; studied the pianoforte under Henry Lister Parratt, of Huddersfield, and his brother, Sir Walter Parratt, organist of St. George's Chapel Royal, Windsor ; member of the late Huddersfield Orpheus Society many years ; three years member of the Huddersfield Rifle Corps (6th West York R.V.) ; some years a Manager of Huddersfield Parish Church Day Schools, and a Sidesman of the Parish Church ; author of "A Brief History of Huddersfield and District," published in 1882. Married Constance, eldest daughter of the late Thomas Laws, of Poole, Dorset.
William Ernest Wimpenny, Hollinhurst, Edgerton, Huddersfield ; son of the late Samuel Wimpenny, of Holmfirth ; born at Holmfirth, May 14th, 1857 ; educated at Huddersfield College. At twenty-one years of age was made a partner in his father's business of stock and share broker, established at Holmfirth in 1852 ; is now head of the firm of W. E. Wimpenny and Company, of 9, Cloth Hall Street, Huddersfield ; Director of the London and Provincial Trust and other companies ; Trustee of the Holmfirth Almshouses, and Hon. Secretary of the same for the past twelve years ; Trustee and Manager of the Woodhouse National Schools. Interested in Freemasonry ; a P.M. of the Holme Valley Lodge, No. 652, and P.Z. of the Chapter of Industry ; takes an active interest in all sports. Married, in 1892, Kate Helena, only daughter of the late William Henry Mellor, of Thongsbridge, and has issue one daughter, Katharine Clare. Member of The Club, Huddersfield.
John Benjamin Roberts, "Gledholt," Roundhay, Leeds ; son of Richard and Sarah Roberts ; born at Huddersfield ; educated at a private school. Appointed by the Sun Fire Office, in 1888, Manager at their branch office in Leeds for the counties of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire ; member of the Council of the Insurance Institute of Yorkshire, of which he has filled the offices of Librarian and Vice-President, and was elected President in 1897, and re-elected in 1898 ; has read papers and given addresses to the members of the Institute on subjects of interest to the insurance profession ; an active worker in the wider field covered by the "Federation of Insurance Institutes of Great Britain and Ireland" ; one of the examiners appointed by the Federation in connection with the scientific and technical educational scheme for insurance officials, and acts as Hon. Secretary to the examining body ; one of the promoters and acts on the Provisional Council of the Insurance Clerks' Orphanage, an institution for the maintenance and education of the orphaned children of insurance officials throughout the country, which will shortly be inaugurated under the auspices of the Federation. Married, at Kessingland, Suffolk, July 24th, 1889, Sarah, daughter of the late William Hollinshead, C.E., of Huntingdon and London.
Alfred Rowbotham Alfred, Stonefall Grange, Knaresborough, second son of the late Alfred Aldred, iron and mineral merchant, of Leeds ; born at Headingley, Leeds, May 28th, 1873 ; educated at Headingley Hill Boys' School. District Manager of the Law Accident Insurance Society, Ltd., and the National Live Stock Insurance Company, Ltd. ; he opened the branch of the first named society on February 1st, 1894, at Victoria Chambers, Leeds, afterwards transferring it to the present offices at East Parade ; previously acted as an insurance broker for some time ; has been a member of the Yorkshire (Princess of Wales's Own) Hussars for several years. Married, August, 1899, Rosa Hilda, youngest daughter of Godfrey Berry Crowther, of Oaklands Hall, Kirkburton.