The Stubbings, Netherton

The Stubbings, also known historically as "Stubbin" or "Stubbins"[1], is a property situated in the Mag Brook valley, off Lea Lane, in an area known locally as Spring Wood Bottom.

History

By the early 1850s, farmer John Beaumont was residing at the property, with his wife Hannah and their three children. Their youngest daughter, Sophia Beaumont, was a school teacher in Honley.[2]

In 1853, widow Hannah Beaumont attempted to stop mill workers crossing the fields below The Stubbings to access Lord's Mill by prosecuting Andrew Cartwright with trespass. The prosecution failed, as it was shown that the workers had been using the route for several decades. Instead, the Bench decreed the historic use now constituted it becoming a dedicated right of way.[3]

By the time of the 1881 Census, Derby-born silk dyer George William Oldham (1830-1914) was residing at The Stubbings with his family. Following his death, his spinster daughter Sarah Ellen Oldham continued to live at the property until her own death in February 1948.

The property was placed on the marked in June 2013 for £950,000 and sold the following year.

Gallery

    Loading... ::::::kia k003532:::kia k003411:::

Location

Notes and References

  1. "Stubbin" is the name given on the 1854 Ordnance Survey map.
  2. John and Hannah were both born circa 1785 in South Crosland. The family was presumably related to the Beaumonts of the nearby Lord's Mill.
  3. "Netherton: Alleged Trespass" in Huddersfield Chronicle (07/May/1853). "Netherton" in Huddersfield and Holmfirth Examiner (07/May/1853).

The Stubbings, Netherton

Categories

Buildings | Buildings in South Crosland and Netherton
This page was last modified on 28 June 2017 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed