Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter
The golf club, which was formed in Cowlersley in 1896, moved to its present location, the fields and homestead of Barkerite Farm, in 1914. Until the farm buildings could be converted into a clubhouse members used the nearby Sands House Inn as a clubhouse. After the lease expired in 1920 the land was bought by the club and a limited company was formed.
About half a mile beyond Sands House Lane, look out on the right for a short section of the golf course boundary wall that is higher than the rest. This coincides exactly with the one time edge of a closely set stand of trees, originally called Batty's Plantation and later, The Royalty. Old plantations like this one usually contained just one or two species, often a mixture of a conifer and a broad leaf variety. Unlike trees in natural woodland, plantation trees were not coppiced and they did not therefore renew themselves through natural regrowth. On reaching commercial maturity, plantations were felled and replaced by newly planted stock.Although the tradition of plantations in this country goes back to c. 1600 it is unlikely that Batty's Plantation is any older than the early nineteenth century, as its straight sided rectangular shape is typical of the landscape that resulted from the Parliamentary enclosures of that time. The name change to the Royalty occurred in the late 1890s. Unfortunately, we can find no explanation for this impressive name. Today, the Royalty, no longer managed for timber crops, has been invaded by a number of native trees. Although it no longer reaches the roadside it may still be seen (through a convenient gap in the wall) beyond and between the fairways and greens of the Crosland Heath Golf Club. Doubtless it is the repository of many lost golf balls.