This page is a bare-bones entry for a location which appears on an historic Ordnance Survey map. More detailed information may eventually be added...
- appears on maps: 1851 [#412], 1890 [#1096], 1905 [#23]
- location on map: Kilner Bank, Dalton
- status: no longer exists
- category: private house
Shown with large gardens, alongside mill goit flowing from River Colne. The property seems to have been demolished between the 1908 and 1930 maps.
Residence of woollen manufacturer James Learoyd (c.1803-1855), founder of James Learoyd & Sons of Town Lane Mills and Tanfield Mills. The firm later became Learoyd Bros. & Co. Ltd. of Trafalgar Mills.
- 1861 — widow Elizabeth Learoyd (55) [house & land proprietor], her children Frederick (33) [woollen manufacturer], Edwin (27) [house, land & share proprietor], Albert (25) [woollen manufacturer], James (22) [house & land proprietor], Sophia E.R. (19), plus two visitors and three servants
- 1881 — widow Elizabeth Learoyd (75) [gentlewoman] with her two servants Anne Etchells (38) [housemaid] and Elizabeth Race (29) [cook]
- 1891 — William F. Shaw (52) [Vicar of St. Andrew's Church], his wife Gertrude (48), their children Frances, Leonard, Walter and Hugh, and their servants Annie Horton (32) [cook] and Agnes Brett (24) [housemaid]
- property: Grove Cottages, Kilner Bank
notes: 2 adjoining properties, alongside mill goit flowing from River Colne, and also approached via footpath through Kilner Bank Wood
Notes and References
- ↑ Died 31 December 1855 at The Grove. His Last Will & Testament is available on Ancestry.