The Architect (04/Feb/1871) - Meltham Mills Convalescent Home

The following is a transcription of a historic journal article and may contain occasional errors.


The Meltham Mills Convalescent Home is being erected about five miles from Huddersfield. Charles Brook, Esq., J.P., of Enderby Hall, Leicester, has given a sum of 30,000l. towards the object, part of which sum is to be applied to the erection of the Home, and the interest of the remainder to its support. The institution is to be in connection with the Huddersfield Infirmary, for the reception of persons who are on their way to recovery from sickness, though incapable of contending with the duties of life. The first stone was laid on October 28, 1868, by Earl de Grey and Ripon, under the auspices of the Freemasons. The Home stands near the summit of a hill, on a site of about eight acres, and commands a fine view over Meltham Mills and the neighbouring ranges of hills.

The style of architecture is Domestic Gothic. The main front will face north-east, and be about 190 feet long. The accompanying view is taken from the southwest, and shows the dining-hall, the female wing with day room ; and the Plan gives the general arrangements on ground floor.

On the first floor, the central part contains the matron's and nurses' bedrooms, and store-rooms for bedding and linen. On this floor there are also two night wards for each sex, the wards being divided by low partitions, 6 feet high, for privacy, and each compartment accommodating two beds. There are bath-rooms and lavatories, furnished with hot and cold water. The accommodation is to be for thirty males and thirty females, with some rooms for children, and it is arranged so as to be capable of enlargement. The buildings are constructed of local stone, roofed in with blue slates, having red-ridge tiling.

The Home is being erected according to the plans and designs prepared by Mr. Edward Birchall, of Leeds, and also under the immediate supervision of Messrs. J. Kirk & Sons, of Huddersfield, architects. The contractors for the various departments are :— Mason, Mr. N. Earnshaw, Meltham ; carpenters, Messrs. W. Myers & Son, Meltham Mills ; slater, Mr. J.P. Hill, Wakefield ; plumbers and glaziers, Messrs. G. Walsh & Son, Halifax ; plasterer, Mr. James Wilkinson, Huddersfield ; ironfounders, Messrs. T.A. Heaps & Co., Huddersfield; heating apparatus, Messrs. Stuart & Smith, Sheffield ; painters, Messrs. J. Preston & Son, Huddersfield.

The Architect (04/Feb/1871) - Meltham Mills Convalescent Home


Articles about the Meltham Mills Convalescent Home, Meltham | Articles from 1871 | Articles from the 1870s | Journal articles
This page was last modified on 29 April 2016 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed