Temple Street, Huddersfield
According to White's Directory of 1837, Temple Street was situated between Westgate and New North North. Contemporary maps show it as a small backstreet branching off Westgate and then running parallel to that to join New North North.
The street was lost during the clearance of land necessitated by the construction of Springwood Tunnel, as explained in this extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
Huddersfield Station must be unusual in that it is approached from the east, above the ground, by means of a viaduct and from the west, under the ground, by means of a tunnel. At the time of building, the land to the east of the station was largely empty and consequently there was little difficulty in finding space for the long forty-five arch viaduct. The land to the west, however, was occupied and to make way for the entrance to the Springwood tunnel a great deal of property had to be demolished including a small street off Westgate, called Temple Street, which was the site of one of the town's first theatres, the Royal Circus.
In The Place-Names of Huddersfield (2008) by George Redmonds, the author marks Temple Street as being the upper section of Westgate between the junctions of Market Street and New North North on his redrawing of Robert Nixon's town plan of 1850. However, this section of Westgate is not marked as Temple Street on the considerably more detailed O.S. 1851 Town Plan, which indicates it had been demolished by the late 1840s.
Redmonds also suggests Temple Street may have been a later name for Midwood Row (marked on a map c.1780) and this is supported by an auction held on 26 January 1814 to sell of the estate and assets of bankruptee James Midwood. The auction was for 8 lots on Temple Street comprising 9 cottages, 2 shops, 2 messuage dwelling houses, a barn, a stable and a granary store.
Baines' Directory of 1822 records the following as residents of Temple Street:
- bakers — Thomas Chalenor
- boot and shoe makers — Benjamin Field and Eden Hirst
- cloth drawers and letterers — Richard Milner
- cloth dressers — George Hoyle
- confectioners — George Wolstenholme
- coopers — Charles Walker
- fancy goods manufacturers — Hirst and Taylor
- offices of National Union (Fire and Life Insurance) — Abraham Mallinson
- hairdressers — John Liversedge
- hat manufacturers — Thomas Bagshaw
- hosiers — Mary Hardy
- merchants and manufacturers — Shaw & Stocks
- tailors and drapers — Samuel Milnes
- wootstaplers — Abraham Mallinson
Pigot's Directory of 1828 lists several of the individuals from the above list as being residents of Westgate, implying boundary between Westgate and Temple Street was not well-defined.
White's Directory of 1837 records the following:
- 16 Temple Street — Thomas Dickinson (cheese, bacon & butter manufacturers / flour dealers)
- 17 Temple Street — Mrs. Elizabeth Astin
- 18 Temple Street — John Gudger (tailor)
- 19 & 20 Temple Street — Horsfield Wolstenholme (wholesale confectioner)
- Temple Street — William Bradley (tailor)
- Temple Street — David Lockwood (manufacturer of fancy goods)
- Temple Street — Richard Milner (cloth drawer)
- Temple Street — John, William & Henry Shaw (woollen cloth manufacturers)
Newspaper reports of a typhus fever outbreak in the town during the summer of 1847 imply that the Huddersfield & Manchester Railway Company had purchased some of the buildings in Temple Street during the development of the railway station. One of these had been converted into a fever hospital, but concerns were raised that it was not big enough to cope with all the patients and that it was sited on a busy pedestrian route, which might help spread the fever.
One noted resident was master carver and gilder John Baptiste Lombardini who provided a weekly summary of temperature readings to the Huddersfield Chronicle in the early 1850s.
A small number of the Temple Street properties still existed at the time of the 1851 Census and were described as being on "Station Yard Temple Street".
- Booth's Court, Temple Street, Huddersfield
- Circus Royal, Temple Street, Huddersfield
- Little Bermondsey, Temple Street, Huddersfield
Notes and References
- Auction notice posted in the Leeds Mercury (15/Jan/1814).
- Leeds Mercury' (05/Jun/1847).