Swan Inn, Swan Lane, Lockwood
- appears on maps: 1854 [#98], 1890 [#912]
- location: Swan Lane, Lockwood
- status: still exists
- category: public house, beerhouse, inn, etc.
- 1881 — innkeeper Samuel Hanson (aged 51)
The History of Lockwood and North Crosland (1980) by Brian Clarke:
One of the hardest pubs to trace, not officially appearing under its title until 1837 when John Wadsworth was licensee. This house was in all probability founded by Thomas Frobbisher who, in an entry in Almondbury Parish Records, dated April 1733, was described as "Innkeeper". Thomas' father, Thomas of Stanley, Wakefield, was also an Innkeeper Thomas came to Lockwood c.1722 and possibly founded an inn at that time. Thomas died in 1777 but none of his children appear as innkeepers. However, on the North Crosland Inclosure Act map of 1798 "Frobbishers" is marked at a point slightly to the north of the present Swan Inn. Again, on a map of 1832 the site of the present Swan appears vacant. Thomas' grandson was Fretchfield Frobisher, cloth maker and in his Will dated 1797, he refers to property “situate at a place called The Swan in Lockwood” and, among the tenants at The Swan is a John Wadsworth, who could be the father of the licensee listed in 1837. The compiler's own interpretation of the evidence is that the Swan was founded c.1722 in property now demolished, initially an unlicensed beerhouse. Sometime prior to 1778 the business was rented to John Wadsworth and c.1837 the present Swan was built. In 1880 ownership passed to the Hanson family and it was not until 1926 that Bentley & Shaw took control. In due course, due to mergers, the house came under Bass control, but following an exchange deal in September 1977, the premises now belong to John Smith's brewery of Tadcaster.