Sunday School, Lydate Unitarian Chapel, New Mill, Wooldale
- location: New Mill, Wooldale
- status: still exists
- category: school
- architect: Edgar Wood (1860-1935)
Built as a Sunday School for Lydgate Unitarian Chapel and also known as the Oliver Heywood Memorial School. The earlier chapel school was repurposed as a parsonage.
Historic England Listing
- Grade II
- first listed 30 April 1982
- listing entry number 1134845
HOLMFIRTH ROAD (New Mill). Lydgate Oliver Heywood Memorial Sunday School (formerly listed as Lydgate Oliver Wood Memorial Sunday School). Sunday School. 1910. By Edgar Wood and James Henry Sellers. Hammer dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Flat roof with parapet. Modest but sophisticated Arts and Crafts bow frontage to simple hall of 6 bays of round arched windows. Ashlar, single storey bow front, with close set windows. Central door in recessed porch, with architrave surround and tent gable in parapet over. The set back upper level of the main hall has central ashlar portion with mullioned and transomed fenestration. Inscribed above window in large letters is: LYDGATE SUNDAY SCHOOL OLIVER HEYWOOD MEMORIAL. Decorative parapet over. High standard of ashlar work and detailing are noteworthy.
- Chapels and Churches of the New Mill Valley (2009) by Pamela Cooksey (pages 18-29)