Sunday School, Helen Street, Lockwood
- location: Helen Street, Lockwood
- status: still exists but now in different use
- architect: Ben Stocks (1838-1911)
- category: school
Built 1884-5 as a Sunday School for the Methodist Free United Chapel on Bentley Street.
The History of Lockwood and North Crosland (1980) by Brian Clarke:
The Sunday School was founded in April 1848 [...] When the present church was built the Sunday School used a curtained-off section of the building. By 1878 there were 312 children attending (134 boys and 168 girls), being taught by 38 teachers and a library of 350 books was available to the scholars. Due to shortage of space, use was also made of the Mechanics Institute for a while but in 1882 plans were laid for the building of a separate school to the rear of the church. The corner stone was laid on 16th August 1884 and the building, designed by Mr. Ben Stocks, had outer walls strong enough to take an extra storey at a later date (which of course never came to fruition). Having cost £2,100 the school was officially opened on Easter Saturday, 4th April 1885, by a service conducted by the Rev. R. Bruce.