Stanley Sykes (1889-1917)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- SYKES, STANLEY. Sergeant. No 240672. 'B' Company, 2/5th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Birkby 10.11.1889. Son of George W and Alice Sykes, 2 Cobcroft Road, Fartown, Huddersfield. Educated at Fartown Grammar School and the Municipal College, Huddersfield. Employed as an engineer by Messrs T. Broadbent and Sons Limited. Husband of Mrs Edna Sykes, 10 Palm Street, Newsome Road, Huddersfield. Enlisted October 1914. Killed in action at the Battle of Bullecourt on 3.5.1917, aged 27 years. Has no known grave. Commemorated ARRAS MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- Brother of Private NORMAN SYKES killed, 27.8.1917.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Serjeant STANLEY SYKES
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Thursday, May 3, 1917
- age: 27 years
- record ID: 1671808
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #1671808)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #4342466)