Stanley Gill (c.1898-1917)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- GILL, STANLEY. Private. No 29049. 1st Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment. Born Netherthong, Holmfirth. Son of Mr and Mrs B. Gill, Stoney Croft, Netherthong. Educated Netherthong Day School where Mr James Jackson was the headmaster. Attended Netherthong Church Sunday School and was a member of the boy scouts. He became a student at the Holmfirth Day School, where he studied chemistry, drawing and building construction. He became an apprentice with Messrs John Ratcliffe and Sons, builders and contractors, St. John's Road, Huddersfield. Enlisted February 1917. Killed in action at Passchendaele, 26.10.1917, aged 19 years. Has no known grave. Commemorated TYNE COT MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private STANLEY GILL
- regiment: East Yorkshire Regiment
- died: Friday, October 26, 1917
- record ID: 839955
- History of Netherthong: Netherthong and its WW1 heroes
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #839955)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #1763129)