Standedge and Oldham Turnpike Road
The Standedge & Oldham Turnpike was a 10 mile road that ran mostly through the township of Saddleworth and was in existence by the late 1700s.
In 1840, the Parliamentary Commissioners for Inquiring into the State of the Roads in England and Wales reported the following details of the road:
- 10 miles 658 yards with 7 toll-gates.
- "The whole 01' the road is in fair repair".
- "The whole of the road is repaired by the trustees, except 640 yards in the parish of Ashton-under-Lyne, which is repaired by hamlet.