The Standedge Tunnels are four broadly parallel tunnels linking Marsden to Diggle in Saddleworth.
The tunnels comprise one canal tunnel and three railway tunnels:
- Huddersfield Narrow Canal Tunnel — constructed between 1793 and 1811
- First Railway Tunnel — constructed between 1843 and 1865
- Second Railway Tunnel — constructed between 1865 and 1890
- Third Railway Tunnel — constructed between 1890 and 1894
- Pennine Dreams: The Story of the Huddersfield Narrow Canal (2002) by Keith Gibson
- The Standedge Tunnels (2017) by Trevor Ellis
- Wikipedia: Standedge Tunnels
Notes and References
- ↑ The narrow canal tunnel contains a slight "S" bend due to the two excavated tunnel faces being 26 feet out of alignment, requiring a bend to connect them.