St. Peter's Vicarage, Greenhead Road, Huddersfield
- appears on maps: 1851 [#328], 1890 [#886], 1905 [#31]
- location: Greenhead Road, Huddersfield
- status: still exists
- category: vicarage for St. Peter's Church, Kirk Gate, Huddersfield
Discovering Old Huddersfield
Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
On the left hand side of Greenhead Road notice the large Gothic building, now part of the Princess Royal Health Centre. This was built in 1842 as a new vicarage to replace the original one which, from earliest times, had stood in the area of the present day Venn Street, near to St. Peter's Church.
The Rev. Josiah Bateman, vicar of Huddersfield from 1840 to 1855, described the original vicarage as "... a very old building in the worst part of the town with a garden attached in which nothing green would grow ... all was hemmed in by tall chimneys and wretched buildings." After several members of his family fell ill Mr. Bateman called a vestry meeting at which he, in effect, laid down an ultimatum — if a new vicarage was not built in a healthier part of the town, he would leave. His incumbency must have been valued for a two acre plot of land was acquired in Greenhead Road and the desired vicarage was built for £2,200.
Later, in 1928, the vicarage became part of a new municipal maternity home. When this was greatly extended in 1939 it was opened by Princess Mary, the then Princess Royal, and was renamed the Princess Royal Maternity Home. As such it served the town for more than forty years and, no doubt, many of our readers first saw light of day there.