Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
Once the site of a large tenter field, Seed Hill was probably so named because of its proximity to the manorial corn mill. Because of the changes that have occurred in the Shore Head area it is difficult now to designate precise locations but it is fairly safe to say that Seed Hill is the area now largely occupied by Sainsbury's supermarket and car-park. It was in this area that St. Peter's School, the first elementary school in Huddersfield, was opened in 1818 by the National Society for the Promotion of Christian Knowledge. The school stood on land rented from the Ramsdens, the rent being "one red rose at the time of roses if one be demanded".