Built by St. Paul's Church in 1906/7 at a cost of around £5,600 as a Day School and Sunday School to replace the church's earlier schools on Princess Street. The building behind it was St. Joseph's Voluntary School on Commercial Street, built circa 1893.
The foundation stone was laid by Lady Gwendoline Ramsden on 26 January 1906 and the school was formally opened a year later on 26 January 1907 by the Bishop of Wakefield.
By the 1960s, the building had become Huddersfield Technical College's St. Paul's Annexe. It was demolished by the late 1970s.
The building currently occupying the site is the University of Huddersfield's Joseph Priestley Building (formerly the Science and West Building).