St. Nicholas's Church, Upper Cumberworth

This page is a bare-bones entry for a specific location marked on an old map. More detailed information may eventually be added...


  • location: Church Lane, Upper Cumberworth
  • status: still exists
  • category: church or chapel

Historic England Listing

  • Grade II
  • first listed 15 August 1985
  • listing entry number 1135330

CHURCH LANE. Upper Cumberworth. Church of St. Nicholas. 1876. Gothic Revival.

Exterior: Lower stage of tower may be C18. Finely dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof with gable copings. Two-stage square west tower, four-bay nave with gabled south porch, two-bay chancel with vestry on north side. Diagonal buttresses to west tower applied to the quoins of the earlier lower stage. On the south side of the tower is a small, blind, round arched window with inscribed lintel 1767. Below is a small ogee-headed window. At base of tower, on south side, is a small, recent addition. The upper stage of the tower has large two-light bell-chamber openings, louvred, and with reticulated tracery. Slated pyramidal roof, with moulded gutter on moulded brackets. Iron weather cock. Two-light nave windows, single light chancel windows and three-light east window, all with traceried heads.

Interior: arched-braced king-post nave roof. Scissor-braced truss to chancel. Font, probably C17 with octagonal bowl and pedestal. The faces of the bowl have paired, traceried panels, and of the pedestal single traceried panels. Colourful stained glass to east window of 1879. Chancel windows on south side have good stained glass of 1938 and 1939 by William Morris and Co., Westminster, the latter signed.


    Loading... ::::::geograph 5143788:::geograph 5143798:::geograph 4375243:::geograph 4090270:::geograph 2753110:::geograph 4036430:::