St. Mary's Church, Church Street, Honley
- appears on maps: 1854 [#147], 1892 [#160]
- location on map: now on Church Street, Honley
- status: still exists
- architect: Robert Dennis Chantrell
- category: church or chapel
Consecrated in 1503.
Historic England Listing
CHURCH STREET (Honley). Church of St Mary the Virgin (formerly listed as Church of St Mary). North-east/south-west Gothic revival Church. 1843 by R D Chantrell, with alterations in 1888 and addition in 1909. Hammer dressed stone, buttressed, with ashlar dressings. Stone slate roof with ashlar roll-top copings. Hipped roofs to aisles. Three sided apse to chancel with 1888 stained glass and small bellcote at roof apex. Nave of 7 bays with clerestorey lights. Aisles with simple lancet lights with hood moulds, some with stained glass. Stone porch at each end of south-west side. Four tier bell tower with large pinnacles. Three-light louvred bell chamber. Clock face to each side. Vestry and organ chamber added to north end, 1909. Interior: Arcades of 7 bays on clustered colonnettes. Gallery at south-west end and extends for 5 bays to each side. Colourful "wine-glass" type pulpit (1888). Restored stencilling to chancel walls. Hammer beam trusses to roof. History: erected on site of chapels of pre-1507 and of 1750.
CHURCH STREET (Honley). Stocks in Yard of Church of St Mary the Virgin. C18 or earlier. Stone slotted sides and stone bottom rail with 4 notches. Formerly stood at Honley 'Gate'.
- Huddersfield & District Family History Society — baptisms 1813-1961
- Huddersfield & District Family History Society — burials 1813-1900
- Ancestry.co.uk — births & baptisms 1813-1810
- Ancestry.co.uk — marriages & banns 1837-1935
- Ancestry.co.uk — deaths & burials 1813-1985
- Find a Grave (1789-1856)
- Find a Grave (1856-?)
Notes and References
- Yorkshire Returns of the 1851 Census of Religious Worship: Volume 3, West Riding (South) (2000) edited by John Wolffe.