St. Mary's Church, Church Street, Honley

GEOGRAPHIC STUB
This page is a bare-bones entry for a location which appears on an historic Ordnance Survey map. More detailed information may eventually be added...

Details

  • appears on maps: 1854 [#147], 1892 [#160]
  • location on map: now on Church Street, Honley
  • status: still exists
  • architect: Robert Dennis Chantrell
  • category: church or chapel

Noted local historian Mary Jagger published a series of six articles on the church in the Huddersfield Chronicle in 1888.

Historic England Listing

  • Grade II
  • first listed 16 January 1967
  • listing entry numbers 1313556 (church) & 1313557 (stocks)
CHURCH STREET (Honley). Church of St Mary the Virgin (formerly listed as Church of St Mary). North-east/south-west Gothic revival Church. 1843 by R D Chantrell, with alterations in 1888 and addition in 1909. Hammer dressed stone, buttressed, with ashlar dressings. Stone slate roof with ashlar roll-top copings. Hipped roofs to aisles. Three sided apse to chancel with 1888 stained glass and small bellcote at roof apex. Nave of 7 bays with clerestorey lights. Aisles with simple lancet lights with hood moulds, some with stained glass. Stone porch at each end of south-west side. Four tier bell tower with large pinnacles. Three-light louvred bell chamber. Clock face to each side. Vestry and organ chamber added to north end, 1909. Interior: Arcades of 7 bays on clustered colonnettes. Gallery at south-west end and extends for 5 bays to each side. Colourful "wine-glass" type pulpit (1888). Restored stencilling to chancel walls. Hammer beam trusses to roof. History: erected on site of chapels of pre-1507 and of 1750.
CHURCH STREET (Honley). Stocks in Yard of Church of St Mary the Virgin. C18 or earlier. Stone slotted sides and stone bottom rail with 4 notches. Formerly stood at Honley 'Gate'.

Further Reading

Location

St. Mary's Church, Church Street, Honley

Categories

Anglican churches | Buildings | Churches and places of worship | Listed buildings and monuments | Stub entry
This page was last modified on 28 June 2017 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed