St. Lucius's Church, Birks Lane, Farnley Tyas

The Church of St Lucious, situated on Butts Road, was the parish church for the township of Farnley Tyas in the historic Parish of Almondbury.

History

The church was designed by Leeds-based architect R.D. Chantrell, with notices placed in the local press in March 1838:[1]

NEW CHURCH AT FARNLEY TYAS.

TO MASONS, CARPENTERS, JOINERS, PLASTERERS, PAINTERS, &c.

THE PLANS and SPECIFICATIONS may be Viewed after Monday the 5th of March, on Application at the Vicarage, Almondbury, or at Mr. Chantrell's Office, Benson's Building's, Park Row, Leeds.

The church was endowed by the Earl of Dartmouth and the foundation stone was laid in May 1838 by the Rev. Lewis Jones, Vicar of Almondbury. The Leeds Intelligencer reported that the new church was "dedicated to St. Lucius, in commemoration of King Lucius, the first Christian monarch of this realm".[2]

The consecration was performed by the Lord Bishop of Ripon on Saturday 28 March 1840. Afterwards, he travelled to Holmbridge to consecrate the new Church of St. David.[3]

Discovering Old Huddersfield

Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:

Built at the expense of the fourth Earl of Dartmouth St. Lucius' Church was consecrated in 1840. The small school near to it was originally a National School.

Historic England Listing

  • Grade II
  • first listed 16 May 1984
  • listing entry number 1313292

BUTTS ROAD. Farnley Tyas. Church of St. Lucius. Gothic Revival Church. 1840. By R. D. Chantrell. Founded by William, 4th Earl of Dartmouth.

Exterior: Ashlar. Stone slate roof. Stone gutter on carved square brackets each with a different motif and one bearing the date 1838. Four-bay nave, two-bay chancel, and two-tier west tower with squat octagonal spire, all with diagonal buttresses with shaped and crocketted off-sets. South porch with very heavily moulded door surround. Square headed three-light nave windows with cusped, ogee headed lights. One window to north side is blocked. Two-light similar chancel windows and also a blind, moulded doorway. Four-light east window with Perpendicular tracery. The two-tier tower has an adjoining stair turret. Two-light west window with tracery. The second tier has paired, cusped bell chamger openings with traceried heads (those to west are blocked).

Interior: Very tall pointed arch to tower. Shallow elliptical chancel arch. Carved oak fittings. Queen-post trusses to roof.

Gallery

    Loading... ::::::kia k006635:::kia k004214:::kia k003822:::kia km04528:::geograph 1466051:::geograph 4379778:::geograph 3289321:::geograph 2349925:::geograph 4379417:::geograph 4288675:::geograph 4468194:::geograph 1466053:::geograph 3289317:::geograph 1466056:::geograph 1466059:::

Records

Location

Notes and References

  1. Leeds Intelligencer (03/Mar/1838).
  2. Leeds Intelligencer (19/May/1838).
  3. "Consecration of Two New Churches" in Leeds Intelligencer (04/Apr/1840).