St. Joseph's Voluntary School, Commercial Street, Huddersfield
- location: Commercial Street (now University Road), Huddersfield
- status: no longer exists
- category: school
Built 1893-94 by masons Williams Radcliffe & Co. to designs by architect Edward Simpson of Bradford at a reported cost of around £2,300. One part of the school formed "a large and spacious chapel, capable of containing 400 people" and was "connected with the schools by large folding doors". The chapel was dedicated on 14 January 1894 by his Lordship the Bishop of Leeds, the Right Rev Dr. Gordon.
Alterations were carried out in 1927:
Extensive alterations are being made in connection with St. Joseph's Roman Catholic schools, Commercial Street, Huddersfield, extra accommodation for 480 scholars being provided at a cost of £6,600. An overhead playground is to be provided. The work is to be completed by the end of October. Meantime a number of scholars are accommodated in the Drill Hall which adjoins the schools.
By the mid-1960s, the building had become part of the Ramsden Technical College.
Notes and References
- "The New Catholic Schools in Huddersfield" in Huddersfield Daily Chronicle (08/Jan/1894).
- "Dedication of the New Catholic School Chapel in Huddersfield" in Huddersfield Daily Chronicle (15/Jan/1894).
- "Huddersfield: School Extensions" in Leeds Mercury (28/Apr/1927).