St. John's Church, Upperthong
- appears on maps: 1892 [#27]
- location: between Binns Lane & Upperthong Lane, Upperthong
- status: still exists
- category: church or chapel
The church of St. John the Evangelist was consecrated in 1848 and built at a total cost of £4,396 18s. 4d.
- St. John's Church Vicarage, Upperthong Lane, Upperthong
- St. John's Church Graveyard, Upperthong Lane, Upperthong
- St. John's Church Graveyard, Upperthong
Historic England Listing
- Grade II
- first listed 4 August 1983
- listing entry number 1229162
UPPERTHONG LANE (Holmfirth). Church of St John. Gothic Revival Church. 1848. Hammer dressed stone with ashlar dressings and plinth. Buttresses. Pitched slate roof with gable copings. North and south transepts, the latter with 3 tier square tower over. Lower chancel. Nave of 4 bays to north and 5 bays to south, each side with doorway the one to south in stone porch. Windows are 2-light with traceried heads, some with stained glass. North transept of 2 bays with window as before. North window is 3-light with stained glass. Tower of 3 tiers with bell chamber with pair of 2-light traceried and louvered lights to each elevation. Five-sided stair turret, to first tier level, on east side. Chancel of 2 bays with windows as before. East window of 4-lights with tracery and stained glass. Interior: chancel arch. Roof trusses supported on engaged colonnettes.
- Huddersfield & District Family History Society — baptisms 1846-1974
- Huddersfield & District Family History Society — burials 1848-1933
Notes and References
- Yorkshire Returns of the 1851 Census of Religious Worship: Volume 3, West Riding (South) (2000) edited by John Wolffe.