GREEN BALK LANE. Lepton. Church of St. John the Evangelist
Gothic Revival church in Early English style. 1866-8 by T. H. & F. Healey of Bradford. The tower was added in 1876. Hammer dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Pitched slate roof. 4-bay buttressed nave with lean-to south aisle. 2-bay chancel with squat buttresses with offsets. Lean-to vestry and organ chamber to chancel south wall. Large south-west 3-tier square tower with south doorway, paired tiny lights and clock face to 2nd tier, and paired, louvred bell-chamber openings with central colonnette. Crenellated parapet and mock machicolation. 4-light east window with plate tracery, with 2 trefoils and one cinquefoil in head. 8-foiled windows to sides of chancel. Nave and aisle windows are of 2, 3 and 4 lights with plate tracery most with a trefoil in head, one with a quatrefoil and one with a cinquefoil. Two lancets in west wall with 6-foil in apex.
Interior: 4-bay south arcade, with massive arches on squat, apparently undersized, columns. Panelled oak chancel and reredos. Well carved oak chancel screen. Carved stone font. Recent partitioning of west end of nave. Arched braced hammer-beam roof trusses, with turned king posts.
The tower formerly had a squat, square, slated spire.