CHURCH STREET. Slaithwaite. Church of St James. 1796. Classical church. Later chancel. Tower and side porches added 1890. Ashlar to north and south elevations. Hammer dressed stone to chancel with stone quoins. Pitched slate roof with gable copings. Two storeys and basement. Seven-bay nave with single light stained glass windows to both floors. Moulded eaves cornice to south side. Basement doorway on south side is inscribed "NATIONAL SCHOOL 1824". East gable has oculus in apex and two single stained glass windows at gallery level. Venetian window to chancel. West tower of four reducing tiers. Clock face to four sides. Round arched, louvred bell chamber openings with overarch. Cornice and parapet with paired crocketted corner pinnacles. Flanking tower are north and south side is porch with round arched stained glass windows. Entrance is dated 1896. Interior; raking gallery to three sides on round piers. Panelled gallery fronts. Choir, in square bay preceding chancel, is bounded on all four sides by round arches on square responds.
Yorkshire Returns of the 1851 Census of Religious Worship: Volume 3, West Riding (South) (2000) edited by John Wolffe:
An ancient Chapel rebuilt 1788. Consecrated August 1789. Having been erected on a new site, the old one taken down (by faculty) entirely by private Subscription or rather purchase of, so called, freehold pews by the inhabitants and others.