The Sunday School was destroyed by fire in 1926.
CHURCH LANE. Scammonden. Church of St Bartholomew. Mid to late C19. Gothic revival church. Hammer dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Steeply pitched grey and purple slate roof. Coped gables with footstones and kneelers. Carved finials. Nave with tower, chancel, transepts. Between chancel and south transept is 4-pier square bell tower with crenellated parapet and slated spire. On bell tower is 5 sided stair tower. Ashlar parapet to bell tower is supported on brackets and has gargoyles. Upper level of tower has louvred openings to belfry with pointed arch and hood mould, and paired colonnettas to jambs. Other openings in tower have false pointed and shouldered arches in deep lintel. On south side is sundial with date 1813 (presumably reset). Transepts have pointed arched windows with geometrical bar tracery, with 3 slender lights, 3 trefoil and one 6-foil lights. Small light with shouldered head to apix of south gable. On south elevation of nave is porch with pointed arched dtpening and doorway with semicircular headin ashlar. One 2-light window with stained glass and shouldered heads in deep lintel with semicircular relieving arch over. East gable: large pointed arched window with geometrical bar tracery with 4 slender lights, one quatrefoil and 2 trefoil openings. West gable: 8-light rose window, 3 slender lights at ground level with pointed heads and blocked light in gable apex with shouldered head.