St. Aidan's Church, Skelmanthorpe
- location: between Lidgett Lane and Radcliffe Street, Skelmanthorpe
- status: still exists
- category: church or chapel
Historic England Listing
- Grade II
- first listed 15 August 1985
- listing entry number 1135306
RADCLIFFE STREET. Skelmanthorpe. Church of St. Aidan. 1894-5 by G. F. Bodley and T. Garner, in Late Gothic style.
Hammer dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Brick south wall. Pitched slate roof with small gabled bell-cote. Five-bay nave with four-bay pitched- roofed north aisle of similar proportions. three-bay chancel, with vestry on south side. Gabled north porch on western bay of nave. One three-light and two two-light traceried chancel windows. Paired lancets to aisle, with trefoil in head. Two three-light traceried west windows, to nave. Three-light traceried east window. Wheel window to south side of chancel and to porch.
Interior: Four-bay arcade, between nave and aisle, on octagonal piers. Similar five-bay arcade along south wall of nave. Good, carved oak commemorative reredos of c.1917 at east end of aisle. Commemorative stained glass east window (1891). Square, late Anglo-Saxon or early Norman font (Pevsner) on C19 or C20 pedestal. (Font said to have come from High Hoyland.) Three interlaced arches on two sides. Two panels on a third side, and on the fourth side four panels with scrolls and foliage, two of which have figure heads at the top. Lead lined. Vaulted wood ceiling to aisle and chancel. Arched braced collar roof to nave. Wooden block floor to seating area. Small, simple chairs for pews.
- Huddersfield & District Family History Society — baptisms 1895-1985
- Ancestry.co.uk — births & baptisms 1895-1910
- Ancestry.co.uk — marriages & banns 1895-1935