Sovereign Inn, Hill Top, Golcar
GEOGRAPHIC STUBThis page is a bare-bones entry for a specific location marked on an old map. More detailed information may eventually be added...
- location: Hill Top, Golcar
- status: possibly still exists but now a private residence
- category: public house, beerhouse, inn, etc.
- notes: beerhouse in 1879 & 1897 Licence Registers
Opened as a beerhouse in 1864 by Mr. Varley who remained the keeper until 1898, after which his son Fred took over.
The beerhouse was referred to the Compensation Authority for closure on the grounds of redudnancy in 1939. At that time, the licencee was Holden Whiteley and the property was owned by Bentley & Shaw Ltd.