South Crosland Urban District

The South Crosland Urban District was formed at the end of 1894, replacing the South Crosland Local Board.

The district was administered by South Crosland Urban District Council. The elected urban districts councils replaced Local Boards following the Local Government Act of 1894 and were given increased powers and responsibilities under the Act.

The first meeting of the South Crosland Urban District Council took place on Monday 31 December 1894 at the Oddfellows' Hall, Netherton. James Albert Wrigley was appointed as chairman.[1]

Under the Representation of the People Act of 1918, the urban district became part of the Colne Valley Parliamentary Division.[2]

South Crosland Urban District was abolished on 1 April 1938 and the area divided as follows (population figures are from the 1931 Census):

The allocation was based on the direction in which water would naturally drain.[3]

Senior Officers

Philip Ahier gives the following lists in The History and Topography of South Crosland, Armitage Bridge and Netherton (1938):

Chairmen
  • 1894-1919 Mr. James Albert Wrigley, J.P.
  • 1919-1924 Major Thomas Brooke, M.A., J.P.
  • 1924-1930 Mr. J. Barker, J.P.
  • 1930-1938 Mr. H. Borwell, J.P.
Vice-Chairmen
  • 1896-1898 Mr. Joseph Radcliffe
  • 1898-1899 Mr. Walter Scott
  • 1899-1902 Mr. G. H. Edgecombe
  • 1902-1903 Mr. John Pogson
  • 1903-1910 Mr. W. K. Baxter
  • 1910-1912 Mr. H. Oldham
  • 1912-1919 Major Thomas Brooke, M.A., J.P.
  • 1919-1922 Mr. W. C. Darbyshire
  • 1922-1925 Mr. F. C. C. Wrigley, J.P.
  • 1925-1930 Major Thomas Brooke, M.A., J.P.
  • 1930-1931 Mr. A. V. Shaw
  • 1931-1938 Mr. L. T. France
Clerks
  • 1894-1919 Mr. A. J. Slocombe
  • 1919-1923 Mr. Joe Hadfield
  • 1923-1938 Mr. G. V. Baxter
Surveyors
  • 1914-1938 Mr. H. Boys
Medical Officers for Health

Boundary

The extent of the urban district is show below (based on the 1906 O.S. map):

Notes and References

  1. "Local District Councils: South Crosland" in Huddersfield Chronicle (05/Jan/1895).
  2. "Redistribution" in Sheffield Daily Telegraph (05/Oct/1917).
  3. The History and Topography of South Crosland, Armitage Bridge and Netherton (1938) by Philip Ahier, chapter 5.