South Crosland Local Board was the local authority body primarily responsible for issues relating to public health in the township of South Crosland and was formed in 1876.
Typically elected by local rate payers and property owners, Local Boards were formed following the Public Health Act 1848 and the subsequent Local Government Act 1858, and had responsibility for the oversight of sewers, water supplies, public toilets, street cleaning, slaughterhouses, pavements, and burial grounds within their district.
The passing of the Public Health Act 1875 saw the Local Government Board approach the surveyors of township South Crosland and the hamlet of Mag Lordship in order that they be amalgamated into a single local board and sanitary district.
Elections to the new local board took place in March 1876 with the following 9 candidates duly elected:
|successful candidates||unsuccessful candidates|
|John Barker (gentleman) of Netherton||337||Alfred Beaumont (woollen manufacturer) of Parkstone Grove||152|
|George Dyson (solicitor) of Corn Bank, Solicitor||331||William Henry Blakeley (master joiner) of Netherton||148|
|John Bedford Donkersley (merchant) of Mag Dale||307||Henry Wrigley (cotton spinner) of Croft House||78|
|William Barrett (farmer) of Crosland Edge||273||Robert Skilbeck (woollen manufacturer) of Crosland Hall||68|
|John Mellor (farmer) of South Crosland||263|
|Ben Atha (woolsorter) of Armitage Bridge||260|
|Francis Levi (gentleman) of Armitage Fold||249|
|John Bates (farmer) of Delves||237|
|Samuel Pontefract (gentleman) of Bank End||205|
Three nominees withdrew after the ballot papers had been printed and so votes for them were discarded:
The first meeting of the local board took place on 15 March 1876 when George Dyson was elected the chairman and Alfred Blakeley appointed the clerk. It was decided that three members should retire each year, with the order being decided by those who'd received the least votes.
South Crosland Local Board was abolished towards the end of 1894 and superseded by South Crosland Urban District Council.
Philip Ahier gives the following lists in The History and Topography of South Crosland, Armitage Bridge and Netherton (1938):