South Crosland is a former chapelry within the Parish of Almondbury, and later a civil parish.
As a parish, it included the hamlets of South Crosland and Mag Lordship.
South Crosland was a chapelry in the parish of Almondbury, becoming a separate civil parish in 1866. The parish church is Holy Trinity, built between 1827 and 1829.
Pigot and Co.'s Royal National and Commercial Directory of August 1841:
South Crossland is a township in the same parish as Honley, a short distance from that place ; and the manufactures are of the same description. The chapel of ease here was erected at an expense of about £2,300 out of the fund at the disposal of the church commissioners : the living is a curacy, in the same patronage as that of Honley ; the Rev. George Hough is the present curate. A national school is in the township. The number of inhabitants, in 1831, was 2,258.
A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) edited by Samuel Lewis:
CROSSLAND, NORTH and SOUTH, in the parish of Almondbury, union of Huddersfield, Upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, West Riding of York, 3 miles (S.W.) from Huddersfield; containing 2826 inhabitants. The scenery in this neighbourhood is beautifully varied, consisting to a great extent of hill and dale, and the soil is rich and fertile. The chapelry of South Crossland comprises by measurement 1840 acres, of which about 250 are arable, 1100 meadow and pasture, 290 woodland, and 192 common: stone of excellent quality is extensively quarried. The manufacture of woollen-cloth is carried on to a considerable extent. The chapel, lately made a district church, was erected in 1828, with lancet windows and a tower, at the expense of £2321, by the Commissioners for Building Additional Churches; it is dedicated to the Holy Trinity, and contains 650 sittings, of which 300 are free. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Vicar of Almondbury, with a net income of £150.
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1872) edited by John Marius Wilson:
CROSSLAND (South), a hamlet, a township, and a chapelry in Almondbury parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The hamlet lies on the river Colne, 1½ mile SW of Berry-Brow railway station, and 3¼ SSW of Huddersfield. The township includes also Mag-lordship. Acres, 1,560. Pop., 2, 794. Houses, 582. Many of the inhabitants are woollen weavers. The chapelry is of less extent than the township; and was constituted in 1842. Post town, Berry Brow, under Huddersfield. Rated property, £5, 500. Pop., 2, 259. Houses, 462. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Almondbury. The church is tolerable; and there are a Methodist chapel, and charities £15.
- Articles about South Crosland
- Books about South Crosland
- People connected to South Crosland and Netherton
- Public houses and inns in South Crosland and Netherton
The extent of the Civil Parish of South Crosland (compiled from O.S. maps of the early 1890s) is shown below.