Smithriding Working Men's Club

Smithriding Working Men's Club was formed in 1875 and initially met "in an ordinary cottage house at Smithriding".

By the end of their first year, the club had 28 members and a balance in hand of £2 13s 3½d.[1]

A new club building was opened on Saturday 17 November 1894 by former club president Robert Shaw.[2]

The club was still in existence in the 1930s.[3]

Notes and References

  1. "Linthwaite" in Huddersfield Chronicle (25/Nov/1876).
  2. "Linthwaite" in Huddersfield Chronicle (24/Nov/1894).
  3. "Broke Into Club" in Yorkshire Evening Post (06/Oct/1932).