The Slaithwaite Urban District was formed at the end of 1894, replacing Slaithwaite Local Board, and was initially divided into the Slaithwaite and Lingards Wards.
The district was administered by Slaithwaite Urban District Council which initially comprised 15 councillors. The elected urban districts councils replaced Local Boards following the Local Government Act of 1894 and were given increased powers and responsibilities under the Act.
The nominations for the first district council were recorded as follows (those marked * were members of the Local Board):
- Lingards Ward (3 Councillors)
- Joseph Frederick Buckley (overlooker) of Elms Hill
- John Furniss (gas manager) of Port Slade Villa
- John Meal (labourer) of 55 Wood Top
- William Sugden (gentleman) of Northcote House
- Nathan Sutcliffe* (farmer) of Broadfields
- George Taylor (dyer's labourer) of 7 Elms Hill
- Thomas Lawson Varley* (stone merchant) of Varley Road
- Slaithwaite Ward (12 Councillors)
- Richard Ramsden Armitage (registrar of birth & deaths), Ramsden House, Lingards
- David Bamforth (tailor) of Lower Bank Nook
- Robert Bates (woollen manufacturer) of Platt House
- William Edwin Cotton* (waste merchant) of Lewisham Road
- John Davenport (corn mill manager) of Longlands
- Dr. Edwin Dean* (medical practitioner) of Lewisham House
- Lawrence Augustus Dean* (medical practitioner) of Clifford Terrace
- Sam Haigh (secretary) of Lewisham Road
- Charles Pearson* (assistant overseer) of West Top
- John Quarmby* (paper merchant) of Lewisham Road
- Edwin Shaw* (manufacturer) of Longlands
- Thomas Varley* (cotton mill manager) of Lewisham Road
- George Henry Walker* (publican) of the Commercial Hotel
- James Walker (farmer) of Highfield
- William Wikinson (plasterer) of Hill Top
Those marked in bold text were elected onto the first council
The first meeting of the Slaithwaite Urban District Council took place on Monday 31 December 1894 at Slaithwaite Town Hall, where George H. Walker was selected as the first chairman, Dr. Edwin Dean as the vice-chairman, and Edwin Gledhill was appointed as the clerk. Under the terms of the Local Government Act, one third of the councillors (1 from Lingards and 3 from Slaithwaite) would step down each year.
Under the Representation of the People Act of 1918, the urban district became part of the Colne Valley Parliamentary Division.
Slaithwaite Urban District was abolished on 1 April 1937 and was amalgamated into the Colne Valley Urban District.
The extent of the urban district is show below (based on the 1906 O.S. map):
Notes and References
- ↑ "The New District Councils" in Huddersfield Daily Chronicle (07/Dec/1894).
- ↑ "Slaithwaite Urban District Council" in Huddersfield Daily Chronicle (02/Jan/1895).
- ↑ "Redistribution" in Sheffield Daily Telegraph (05/Oct/1917).