Slaithwaite Mechanics' Institute
The Slaithwaite Mechanics' Institute traced its roots back to 1847 when "a number of working men [met] in an upper room on Nabs Lane".
Following fundraising efforts in the 1860s, land was acquired on Commercial Street from Sir Joseph Radcliffe and the foundation stone of a dedicated mechanics' hall was laid on 1 January 1870. The building was then altered to incorporate a day and night school which opened in February 1871.
Notes and References
- "Mechanics' Institution for Slaithwaite" in Huddersfield Chronicle (08/Jan/1870).
- "Slaithwaite" in Huddersfield Chronicle (18/Feb/1871) and "Opening of the Slaithwaite Mechanics' Institute" in Huddersfield Chronicle (02/Dec/1871).