Slaithwaite Local Board was the local authority body primarily responsible for issues relating to public health in the township of Slaithwaite and was formed on 15 May 1862 with an initial membership of twelve persons.
Typically elected by local rate payers and property owners, Local Boards were formed following the Public Health Act 1848 and the subsequent Local Government Act 1858, and had responsibility for the oversight of sewers, water supplies, public toilets, street cleaning, slaughterhouses, pavements, and burial grounds within their district.
After earlier attempts to form a local board for the entire township failed, the two hamlets within the township — Holme Side and Sun Side — held public meetings on 17 April and 8 May 1862 respectively to considering forming separate local boards. After Holme Side decided to form their own local board with a membership of six, a further meeting was called for 15 May for the entire township and this led to an agreement to form a single local board.
Slaithwaite Local Board was abolished towards the end of 1894 and was superseded by Slaithwaite Urban District Council.