Skelmanthorpe Urban District

Skelmanthorpe Urban District was formed towards the end of 1894, replacing the Skelmanthorpe Local Board District.

The elected urban districts councils replaced Local Boards following the Local Government Act of 1894 and were given increased powers and responsibilities under the Act.

Under the Representation of the People Act of 1918, the urban district became part of the Penistone Parliamentary Division.[1]

Skelmanthorpe Urban District was abolished on 1 April 1938 when it became a local government ward within the new Denby Dale Urban District, together with the urban districts of Clayton West, Emley, and Denby & Cumberworth.

Boundary

The extent of the urban district is show below (based on the 1906 O.S. map):

Notes and References

  1. "Redistribution" in Sheffield Daily Telegraph (05/Oct/1917).